Remington 760

Hawke, hopefully it's all a mute point, and it will break free like most. I'm gonna get them apart 1 way or the other, but that's me. It would bug me until my dying day if I didn't.

In reality if the rifle is functioning fine and unless it would have to come apart for a broken firing pin or something internally within the action parts, it's perfectly fine for somebody to clean them as is.

The 760s were good rifles, the 742 was if it was maintained correctly. Most people did not COMPLETELY clean them. They thought I you cleaned the bore once a decade it was good to go. Most of the trouble came from rust in the works and once a little rust or scratch got into the chamber trouble would start and there was no way to fix except replace the barrel. Trouble with both of these rifle these days is if you break a part they become wall hangers because there are NO parts available any place.

1Shot":3hk9vqep said:
The 760s were good rifles, the 742 was if it was maintained correctly. Most people did not COMPLETELY clean them. They thought I you cleaned the bore once a decade it was good to go. Most of the trouble came from rust in the works and once a little rust or scratch got into the chamber trouble would start and there was no way to fix except replace the barrel. Trouble with both of these rifle these days is if you break a part they become wall hangers because there are NO parts available any place.

I don't know anything about a 742 other than what gun it is, but on a 760 I'm pretty sure I could build a whole gun coming up with the parts needed. Be a while yet before a 760 becomes a wall hanger over a single broken part.

When I cleaned the 760 up, I could tell the rifle hadn't been fired in a few years.
It's a good thing I have my experience with muzzle loading rifles. I am very careful when it comes to cleaning from the muzzle end. I never ram anything in when going through the muzzle. I also don't use any material that could be as hard or harder than the steel they use for the barrels.
I saw green residue in the barrel before I cleaned it. Usually a good sign it hasn't been cleaned in a long time.
She cleaned up really nice though. Mirror shine in the barrel. Cleaned what I could of the action. A little dirty from dirty powder residue.
A friend of mine gave me a 10 rd magazine he had that didn't go to any rifle he currently owns. So I gladly took it. Long story short, she cleans up really well, and is a thing of beauty.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Somehow I think your threads are costing some guys some money on here, I know I'm tempted to peruse online gun stores now :lol:

gerry":29cu7ba9 said:
Somehow I think your threads are costing some guys some money on here, I know I'm tempted to peruse online gun stores now [emoji38]
LOL
That wasn't my intention of making these posts.
But, if that is happening, then be it far from me to stop anyone else who would like to collect, and shoot their awesome Remington rifles.
Here, I was thinking I was a bolt action fan, but the 760 pump is quite the handy rifle. Fast follow up shots, and accurate on top of that.
I'm digging the 760.

Hawk

Those pump's sure do point well and are fast when it comes to follow up shots. Probably only second to a semi auto in that regard and not by much.

gerry":1sj5j11c said:
Those pump's sure do point well and are fast when it comes to follow up shots. Probably only second to a semi auto in that regard and not by much.
How very true that is!

Hawk

FOTIS":1pygq7vk said:
Another 30-06???? You got the bug LOL
I'm jonesing right now!!!! LOL
I need another .30-06, quick!!!
Yeah, got the bug bad.

Hawk

Man Hawk, you are on a roll.

I think I have the twin to your 760, but in a 270 Win. I believe mines going to make the trip to JES to get made into a 338-06.

I do like those pump Remingtons. Just handy rifles and carry like a nice 20 gauge 870.

SJB358":p3r4mav1 said:
Man Hawk, you are on a roll.

I think I have the twin to your 760, but in a 270 Win. I believe mines going to make the trip to JES to get made into a 338-06.

I do like those pump Remingtons. Just handy rifles and carry like a nice 20 gauge 870.
Yes, the opportunities came up amazingly, and I had the money to buy all that I have acquired.
I have as well thought about reboring mine to .338-06, or .35 Whelen if it doesn't shoot.
From what I understand, the 760's and 7600's are easier to rebarrel than the 700's.
Thank for the compliments on the rifles!
Yes, I agree, it does handle a lot like an 870.
They are definitely quick handling, and quick with follow up shots, if needed.
They sure are a neat little rifle.

Hawk

UPDATE:

I finally got around to adjusting the Weaver Micro Trac back on the 760, and finally got the chance to bore sight it. It was off, as I expected, because it was canted very badly.
Now she isn't, and she's bore sighted, ready to go.
I hope to take this and the other 2 here shortly to the range.
The old scope seems to be fairly decent as well. Just a little foggy around the outside edges, but still serviceable.

Hawk
39967b80bf7a80cd276e278a272b6aff.jpg
23bc5dc72439aec1f202c000cb4ab25d.jpg

Back