Replacement Firing Pin Assembly?????

trsmith1818

Beginner
Jul 17, 2011
I replaced my standard Rem 700 firing pin assembly with a PTG replacement firing pin assembly from Midway USA tonight. I got it into the bolt body but cycling the bolt is extremely tight and difficult. It seems to fire okay. Is this normal for a new firing pin to make it so difficult? Does the spring have to relax a bit with time and use? Did I do something wrong with the install? Please advise if you've had similar difficulties

Sounds like when you screwed the bolt plug back into the bolt assembly you may have gotten a burr in the threads or crossed threaded it. You should have applied a dab of grease to it when you screwed it together. Not oil but gun grease.

What did you use to hold the firing pin back when you threaded it into the bolt body? If you used pliers or vice grips sometimes it will cause a burr that drags going in and out of the action. The same part can be slightly oversized compared to your stock one causing it to drag in the action.

The Gre-Tan I have on my 300 SAUM is a little stiffer on the bolt lift than the factory issue. This is normal with a better quality spring and tighter tolerences on the machined parts. Mine did ease up some with use, but is still stiffer than the factory J-Lock.

When installing it, if you let the cocking mechanism slip out of the vice, or in my case a shoelace, it can put a ding on the cam of the bolt, leaving a small notch that the cocking piece has to travel over as you lift the bolt. This can make it difficult for a smoothe bolt lift.

the bolt slides back and forth just fine, its the rotating of the bolt in and out of its locked position that is very difficult.

trsmith18":2nm2kvl1 said:
the bolt slides back and forth just fine, its the rotating of the bolt in and out of its locked position that is very difficult.

My Gre-Tan is the same way. It's just tighter tolerances and a stiffer spring. I can no longer lift the bolt with just my index finger, but that's ok. It will losen up some with use, but I don't think it will get back to the factory feeling.

Mountain Goat":26uunrnr said:
trsmith18":26uunrnr said:

My Gre-Tan is the same way. It's just tighter tolerances and a stiffer spring. I can no longer lift the bolt with just my index finger, but that's ok. It will losen up some with use, but I don't think it will get back to the factory feeling.[

If thats the case, Im not sure itll be worth it as it would make it almost impossible for situations that require a quick follow-up shot.

Does anyone recommend a certain type of "grease" as mentioned above? I have been looking at tetra gun grease and seems like a good choice to lube the threads and spring. Any other suggestions

Back