Retumbo... Gavin and I take a look at it:

Good stuff Guy. I remembered I only got a pound of Retumbo to try in my 7 Mag and those 160 Accubonds, boy it was a fast load and I wished I had bought more before we had the shortage. Thanks for sharing.

Nice work Guy. Retumbo is my go to powder for the 338 RUM. Thank you for posting this.

JD338

Is that 25-06 load you guys listed what's replacing your Blue Cyclone? ;) keep up the good work, Guy!

I was able to get some Retumbo to try in my 6.5-300, haven't had a chance to load anything yet. If it doesn't like it I do have a couple 25-06's

As Always, impeccable work Guy.

I really like Retumbo a LOT in 7mm RM’s. It and RL25 are my fav’s with 160-180’s. I haven’t found it on shelves around me for 4-5 years. The times I’ve seen it in stock online I’ve always had such a supply of other suitable powders (4831, 7828, RL22, 23, 25, 26), I couldn’t justify ordering it.

I was able to get some Retumbo to try in my 6.5-300, haven't had a chance to load anything yet. If it doesn't like it I do have a couple 25-06's

I suspect that it will be terrific in the 6.5-300!

Guy i get the same accuracy with Retumbo and Ramshot magnum in a 6.5 prc

That 6.5 PRC seems like a very good cartridge! Gavin's got one sitting around, I may have to borrow it for a range session. :) Travis was telling me that he really likes Retumbo in the 6.5 PRC.

Well i thought it was shot out. I was shooting at the time Magpro and the Barnes match burners. Switched to a hornady 140 gn bthp and Magnum for powder. It will shot 3/8th inch groups at 100. Not bad for a $500 factory savage. I see no problem getting 4-5000 out of the barrel. Rl26 works really well in it. Go over to Gavin's and take that baby for a ride. You won't be sorry. LOL

Years back I used Retumbo in my 30-378 WBY , I just felt it was a little to fast for it. It was fine with the 178gr Amax and 180gr Accubonds. When I moved up to the 190gr BTSP and 208gr Amax things got spooky. With that big case with heavier bullets the velocity would flatten out with no increase speed for several grains. With 230 gr VLDs I was disappointed with the velocity I got when I hit pressure. When Alliant released RL33 I was hooked.
Again nice article. Keep up the good work.

Ya, that's a BIG case... I suspect that RL33 was much better for that application. :)

Nice write up. I haven't seen retumbo locally in about 3 years. It shows up but disappears before I get there.. The same as when I go fishing..."Ya shoulda' been here yesterday"

Back