Rifle upgrade/build....in stages

shoots_5

Handloader
May 15, 2009
Ok, I have a Remington 700 SPS chambered in 22-250 that I've had for a few years now. It's pretty much bone stock and is a slighty sub MOA gun with handloads. I've been wanting to do a custom 6.5x47 Lapua for years now....more on that in a bit. What I'm wanting to do is start to accurize/customize this rifle, but will likely do it in stages as money becomes available. My first thought is getting rid of the flimsy SPS stock and probably upgrading the bottom metal at the same time. Second would be upgrading the optics, although I've gone back and forth on if I want to do the stock or scope first....that's up for debate and advice would be appreciated. Third is to shoot the crap out of the stock barrel and then rebarrel to the 6.5x47.

A couple of questions:

Would a detachable mag system such as the badger M5 for .308 work ok with 22-250 or would I have feeding issues? Something like this: http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/th ... M24/Detail
Also with that system do you have to modify the action at all or just inlet the stock?

Anyone have any experience with the 22-250AI? I considered having the factory barrel cut for the AI in the mean time for some added fun but wasn't sure if it was worth it with a 1:14 twist barrel as I'd still be limited to the lighter weight pills.

And finally, the cheap side of me is leaning towards something like the accublock from stockys or a bell & carlson....but the want side of me is looking at McMillan A5 or a Manners T5. Are those premium stocks worth double the cost of the others or are you just buying a name and won't notice any appreciable improvement in the rifle?

Thanks for any and all advice & tips! Pretty much just own stock rifles at this point so this is my first foray into the custom world....as long as my wife doesn't ever add up the spread out cost I think I'll be ok.... :lol:

What scope do you have on it now?

If I were at home, I'd let you play around a bit with my various McMillan stocks. I assume you have one of the SPS-V rifles, rather than the standard SPS in a sporter weight, since you are talking about the tactical Mickeys.

If it were me, (once again, depending on what scope you currently have) I would go stock first, then scope, then rebarrel. The extra velocity of an AI chamber will allow (theoretically, at least) you to stabilize a little longer bullet. Whether it's enough to matter is another matter.

The VERY FIRST thing I'd do is get a truly superior trigger on it... Jewell, Timney, Shilen.

I agree, trigger first if you haven't done it already. I used a Timney for mine, and I really like it. But I haven't ever used a Jewell and hear good things about those as well.

Second, stock. I don't want to steer you away from anything, but I will say I purchased an HS Precision stock for my first replacement to the plastic factory stock. After less than a year I couldn't take it anymore and recently changed to the McMillan. The McMillan is getting bedded right now, but from one trip to the range before bedding she was a sweetie.

I'm not saying you have to get the McMillan, though they are very nice. I'm sure Manners is also very nice. However, my two cents would be if you were going the aluminum bedding block route to get the Bell and Carlson or Accublock and save the extra $100 the HS Precision costs.

I have no experience with the replacement bottom metal / magazine, so can't speak to those.

I suppose scope next, and then rebarrel. But with a good stock you might be surprised how well your 22-250 shoots.

Thanks BK. Yup, it's the varmint version with the 26" varmint contour barrel. I have a fairly cheap Cabela's 3-12 scope on it with ballistic matched turrets (although to it's credit it got run over by a F-250 and other than a few scratches it's still working just fine!). Nothing fancy but it works for the time being. I also tuned the factory trigger down to a 2.75# pull that is decently crisp but ya, I agree that could be an area of definite improvement as well.

So what's your opinion on the McMillans vs say a B&C? Is it worth a couple hundred more bucks? I'm not a complete cheapskate but I also don't give a crap who's name is on the stock....

You can tune a factory Remington trigger pretty low with a high degree of safety if you know what your doing. It won't substitute for a 1 1/2oz Jewell but 1.5lbs isn't usually hard.

Here is how I did mine!!!
Scope, quality is a great accuracy builder.
Bedding, worked a little.
Action squared.
Jewell trigger.
H-S Precision Stock.
I am now happy and have a consistent .750-1.00 rifle.

I think I would move the stock up a level or two if I was doing it again. I have a McMillian, two Browns and the H-S, yes I believe the extra money is worth it. Besides if the rifle does what you want it to, the extra money is worth it.

shoots_5":l2qoe6zi said:
Thanks BK. Yup, it's the varmint version with the 26" varmint contour barrel. I have a fairly cheap Cabela's 3-12 scope on it with ballistic matched turrets (although to it's credit it got run over by a F-250 and other than a few scratches it's still working just fine!). Nothing fancy but it works for the time being. I also tuned the factory trigger down to a 2.75# pull that is decently crisp but ya, I agree that could be an area of definite improvement as well.

So what's your opinion on the McMillans vs say a B&C? Is it worth a couple hundred more bucks? I'm not a complete cheapskate but I also don't give a crap who's name is on the stock....

Honestly, the only B&C I have any experience with is the factory handle on my Extreme Weather M70, but I think I have my 12th McMillan on order. So I'm lacking a little experience with other manufacturers, but I sure would love to give a Manners a try.

but I sure would love to give a Manners a try.
Well, maybe I'll just have to order one and you can check it out! I'm actually leaning towards the manners....just trying to get over the sticker shock and convince myself to just buy it.

Here is my upgraded 22-250 SPS.
Vortex Viper 6.5-20 scope mounted into lapped Talley rings
Timney trigger set at 1lb
I fully bedded, with pillars, the action into a Richard's Wildcat stock in blue/black
Polishished to bolt so it cycles smooth as glass

With my handloads it will put them all in one ragged hole all day long.
Haven't taken it out as much as I should, but got a chuck last summer at 475yds.

My plan is to shoot the barrel out and re-barrel with 6mmBR

Attachments

• 100_1181.JPG
    100_1181.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,254
First, I'd ask, what do you intend to use it for? Stock choice and trigger depends a lot on where you're going to be using it and what it will be pointed at.

I did a very similar project in .243 Win using a Remington 700 SPS as my base gun. My build was about having something for tactical matches and shooting for fun at long range. (In a hunting gun I was going to carry in the field, I'd never want this much weight..)

The single biggest improvement I saw in accuracy was the move from the SPS stock to the AICS 2.0. People tend to shy away from them because of cost, but it's a false economy. The AICS 2.0 you don't have to pillar bed / float or send to a smith and pay them to do the work. It comes with the bottom metal/mag system, so you don't have that separate purchase. It also has cheap mag options.. I have several AI and C Products aftermarket mags and they all run flawlessly. It took about 10 minutes to bolt on and I was up and running. (I also love the ability to adjust the cheek rest.)

After that, I dropped it off with Timney in Phoenix and had them put in a trigger.

That stock, with that trigger, a good base, rings and glass, and the factory SPS barrel shoots hand loads and factory rounds under 1/2 inch all day long if I do my part.

shoots_5":3av3fcmo said:
but I sure would love to give a Manners a try.
Well, maybe I'll just have to order one and you can check it out! I'm actually leaning towards the manners....just trying to get over the sticker shock and convince myself to just buy it.

I'll take you up on that!

I just ordered Mickey #13, a Ruger Classic for either my .308 or .358, 60% light green/40% white.

AzDac42, it will be a varmint, target, general shooting stuff rifle....weight isn't too much of an issue. I like a little heft to my rifles in general. When it gets rebarreled to 6.5x47 it may get shot competitively on occasion, but we'll see.

Well, just called Manners and ordered a T5A that they had in stock so it will ship today! It's molded in OD green, with their bedded mini chassis system, 2 flush cups left, 1 stud up front. Can't wait to get it and see what kind of difference it will make on this rifle! :grin:

Let us know how it all works out for you, will be interesting to see if the new stock helps your accuracy.

Oh, man! When you get that stock, we'll have to get together so I can check it out! I have wanted to look over a Manners for a while (thought I do love my Mickeys!).

Kurt, I am surprised you don't have a Manners yet? Whats the hold up! :lol:

BK":3pk14tsf said:
Oh, man! When you get that stock, we'll have to get together so I can check it out! I have wanted to look over a Manners for a while (thought I do love my Mickeys!).
You got it! I wouldn't mind checking out your mcmillans too as they offer inletting for the 721 action and I just happen to have one that is looking for a new stock!

Sure, I have a few you could check out. A couple of them don't have actions in them yet, but we can make do.

Back