Ring heights are they "standardized"?.

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
thanks to the generosity of a board member who shall remain nameless.... I am able to upsize my scope on my 22 MAG. Went from a 3-9x40 to a 4-12x 50 with an AO. Cant wait to actually shoot it.... Any way, the project required a change in rings. Went from a medium to highs but that wasnt enough, by about a 1/16th of an inch. Went to a set of "extra high's" and now Ive got almost a 1/4 inch. (maybe not quite) I will work with it, but it seems we a frequently in the "almost but not quite situation". It seems to vary depending on brand and style of ring and also base. Are there actually "standard measurements for the various heights? BTW The Weaver Grand Slam rings are steel, American made and seem pretty robust.

Anyway- here it is:

Wish it would quit snowing. At the rate its going, I wont get to the range before July :roll: CL

Weaver, Leupold and several other ring manufacturers vary height of their rings in increments of 1/8 (.125) inches. Many tactical rings vary height increments by .200 of an inch, instead of 1/8th inch. I have found that when using a Weaver type or a Picatinny type base that scopes with a 50mm objective will require use of a high Weaver ring or often can use a medium Tactical ring.

Oldtrader3":3itqmex3 said:
Weaver, Leupold and several other ring manufacturers vary height of their rings in increments of 1/8 (.125) inches. Many tactical rings vary height increments by .200 of an inch, instead of 1/8th inch. I have found that when using a Weaver type or a Picatinny type base that scopes with a 50mm objective will require use of a high Weaver ring or often can use a medium Tactical ring.

Ya- Weaver Highs werent high enough for my 50mm AO, and Weaver Extra highs are higher than they need to be. Hence the question. Thanks for the thoughts CL

I have actually had good results going to Midway USA and looking up the different rings I have been interested in using. Midway USA generally lists right heights.

Things tend to get more complicated and different when going to 30mm Scope Rings in regards to height dimensions.

Larry

Weaver nor most other manufacturers do not list the dimensional height of the various ring heights on any specification sheet that I can easily access anyplace. Nor do any of the other ring manufacturers that I can see. Maybe this is an oversight that should be corrected. How could you buy tires with out a size and dimensional sheet available at the dealers.

I guess that you are supposed to buy tires blind or remember what size your grandfather used in 1934. :mrgreen: For his Model T.

Back