RL17 or RL16 for 180s

bob_dobalina

Handloader
Oct 6, 2009
Hi all, I am looking for some advice. I have had good success with RL17 in the 300 WSM in the past. I want dial in my elk load here shortly for the year in 180gr bullets. I can only get a 5lb jug of 17 local, but I can get 1lb jugs of RL16. Should I go all in on RL17 probably with TTSXs or Partitions, or spend the time to try to work up a load - probably with Partitions - and RL 16?! Thanks

I think I would stick with the Re17 if the choice was up to me. It even says on my bottle of the powder, "consistent max velocity in extreme weather conditions". I haven't had a chance to use it in really cold weather yet but I'm doing my load workups in very hot temps, like 90* to well over 100*. I would have used my load in January but a bad car accident, actually my pickup truck put me in the hospital 4 days before my elk hunt in New Mexico. Temperatures have run from 4* above zero to as warm as 40* and the loads I've used with some so-called temp sensitive powders have not been all that far off. I usually check my rifles out at the Whittington Center in Raton NM the day before the hunt and saw little or no change in point of impact. Rifles ad ammo were locked overnight in my vehicle so the guns and ammo were quite well chilled for the sight test. (y)
Paul B.

Thanks PJGunner I think I agree, it's never done me wrong. I haven't been paying too much attention, has 17 been tough to get? Also, sorry to hear about your car wreck.

Not a Winny, but shot a nice muley last year with my M70 '06 using 180 NAB over Re-17. Accurate load.

If 17 is shooting for you I'd not switch a thing myself! I use it in a fair number of cartridges I trust to work and 17 has been excellent for me. It was very good in my old 300 WSM and I plan to try it out in the new 325 WSM pretty quickly.

I always want to try the latest and greatest but I agree I'll stick with 17. I'm jealous of the new 325 WSM too I'd like one myself

bob_dobalina":3i4m9tx2 said:
I always want to try the latest and greatest but I agree I'll stick with 17. I'm jealous of the new 325 WSM too I'd like one myself

I’m sorta looking forward to shooting it a bit myself. Need to get cracking and load some ammo for it. Got some 180 Ballistic Tips and 200 Accubonds to run. Looking forward to seeing what it’ll do. Mike hasn’t had anything but praise for his.

I too found R17 worked swell in my 300 WSM but with the 168 TTSX. I tried to find a good load with R16 in my little 84L .270/129 LRX and no joy. I read good reviews on it, but for that particular combo it was useless. I will try it in another rifle, maybe 30-06. But so far, R17 has been "plumb wonderful", ha.

Back