7-08 Hunter 162 ELD (Hunter and RL17)

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I have a little Kimber Montana 7-08 I got last year. Well, due to moving and bunch of other things, I never had time to develop a deer load for it. Well, I kinda wanted to be adventurous and see if I could get a 162 Hornady ELD to fly decent from the rifle. My first move was RL17 and Hunter. I kinda wished I had more 17 but I haven't seen it in awhile, but decided to see what it would do. I am using Lapua cases and CCI250's for the Hunter and CCI200's for the 17 loads.

RL17

So, it shot well and I feel sure I could have developed a great load with it, but I don't wanna use my favorite 338 WM powder.. So, I moved on and tried the Hunter loads.

I thought to myself, man, this stuff is good at 46.5... Well, I put the MS on the rifle and got a 2550'ish reading.. QL suggested around 2700 for that load. Well, after adjusting QL I decided to bump up and see what/if I could get to 2700 safely.

So there is a pile of data. I believe I am going to revisit the 48-49.5 grain charge. 49 showed 2695 which is close enough to 2700 for what I am doing. I will say this, these little Kimber's can really show you when you aren't being a good riflemen. They aren't hard to shoot, but they make sure you do all the things right that you should be doing with heavier rifles that forgive a little here and there.

Anyhow, hopefully before too long I can get back out and tune it up a little more and see what I can do with it.

Nice replacement for RL17 you got going there👍.
49.5grs and 162 gr bullet must be a tight fit.

It is RL. Not horrible, but it is up there.

Anybody know where to get VLD seating stems for Redding dies? I looked briefly, but didn't find what I was looking for. Call Redding direct maybe?

Back