RL23 and RL26 in 30-06

Also, thanks a bunch for running all those, DrMike. It's always interesting to me to be able to look at those simulations and compare the numbers.

From the little we have seen with a couple of 30-06's, 200's are really in the 30-06 wheel house and produce 2700+ without too much trouble, but it is a full case.

I have been working with RL16 and the 180's and have reached 2800 and change pretty easily. Accurate so far as well.

jason miller":eae7xstq said:
Also, thanks a bunch for running all those, DrMike. It's always interesting to me to be able to look at those simulations and compare the numbers.
X2 again!

So I procured some RL26 and loaded up some test loads to try out. I will get my chrono from my brother in Saturday as I head to the range to try some loads, starting low on the listed QL loads and looking for pressure signs. Hopefully I’ll get similar accuracy but better speed than I’m getting with I4350. If not then I’ll go back to the old faithful... Nothing ventured, nothing gained

I will report back with news of my failures or success...

My rifle has never liked 180's and I've got 50 180 BT's left along with a bit of RL26 from last year that I never settled on a load for anything with. I might try that combo myself and see if maybe this rifle will like 180's at a higher speed than I've ever tried before.

Standard or magnum primers for 60+ grains of RL26 in a 30-06? I might try both.

Good luck, be careful looking for PSI signs. 26 doesn’t usually rear its head till its pretty high. Good thing is you probably can’t get enough 26 in the 30-06 to make it dangerous.

I went to the range today, but I was a bit rushed and had to rebuild the “table “ to hold my chrono, as well. Needless to say, I didn’t shoot my best, but I was still pleased overall with the results. 180 NABs.

020F9FBF-5408-4DBD-B805-AAB5A2BB006D.jpeg

I may have been guilty of some poor trigger/bench discipline, but sub 1” at 100 yards is pretty good no matter what. As usual, my rifle does best when I push hard, and the groups got tighter as I increased the charge. I stopped here, as I was starting to get some flattening of primers, but my bolt wasn’t even starting to get sticky. Velocity exceeded my expectations. I think that I’ll play with seating depths now and try to bring it the rest of the way in. I didn’t even shoot my “old faithful “ load under an inch today.

I’m going to retry it from 62.9 on up to 63.8 in .3 grain increments set at 3.340 oal, so I wouldn’t say that I have a final load yet, but that 63.8 shot the best. I like to try my loads out with repeatable results on multiple trips before calling them done.

I would be thrilled with 2850fps and somewhere around.5-.75 moa, but if I get 2900fps with the best accuracy then all the better... I know that my rifle is capable of consistent accuracy in that range with multiple loads.

If your rifle likes to be pushed hard, and Quickload thinks that 2900 fps is still only 61.5K psi, and your best result was at that velocity, and there weren't any pressure signs, why wouldn't you try a notch or two higher and see if it gets even better or establishes that 63.8 is possibly either in the middle of or on the bottom of a nice accuracy "node"?

Either way, thanks for the data point. I don't always trust that the charge weights given by Quickload will match up with actual pressure/velocity, but an example of one with an actual charge weight and corresponding pressure/velocity gives me something to go off of when I get around to trying this combination myself. Personally, I plan on loading up a string to try and see exactly what charge my rifle will decide is max, which will come with either pressure signs or 2950 fps on my chronograph, and then I'll try for groups.

Oh, and maybe I missed it, but what primers are you using? I've heard before of people having better success with magnum primers when using even smaller doses of slow-burning powders, and 63.8 grains is already starting to get into the range of "magnum" type charge weights, anyway.

I had 3 loaded at 64.2, but pulled them after I started seeing the primers flattening. I know that many people feel that is not an accurate pressure indicator, but it’s definitely something to watch. I don’t want to “tickle the dragons tail” too much. There’s not a lot between 61.5k psi and 65k psi, and I want to be able to practice with it in the summer time without peaking out...

I’m going to try seating depth adjustments and a few OCD things that may bring it in the rest of the way. Also, I want to retry when I’m not so rushed, can let the barrel cool more completely, and I’m shooting better. I may try some different powder charges if that doesn’t work, but I feel that I’m right there on the edge.

I’m using CCI200s. I’ve never used magnum primers for non magnum cartridges. I have some Fed 215s that I may try later

I loaded up a set of 5 last night- 62.5, 63, 63.5, 64, and 64.5 grains. Not sure when I'll get out to shoot them, but I'm interested to see how our speeds match up.

EastTNHunter":1drbt2m5 said:
I’m using CCI200s. I’ve never used magnum primers for non magnum cartridges. I have some Fed 215s that I may try later
Re: Max case volume, if you are neck sizing, your case volume should be a bit bigger that Saami. Going back to the 117% fill requirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastTNHunter":uwevwefx said:
I saw the Speer stuff last night, and I appreciate the link. I’m hoping that I can get around 2850fps with a 180gr AccuBond. I’m already getting around 2750fps using I4350, but I’m always tinkering and looking for the next great thing.
its' a sickness I have lived w/ most of my life !!!!....lol

Back