Rock Chucks (Again!)...next week in the mountains

xphunter

Handloader
Sep 15, 2005
Some rock chuck hunting will involve drive up and park and shoot, and other will involve a hike of a mile or so.
Taking two XP's.
Both 22 Creedmoor's.
One is center-grip and the other is a rear grip.
Shooting 80 ELD-M's with the rear and 88 M's with the center.
I am being taken by a friend. I don't even know where exactly it is, other than, it is in the Bighorns somewhere... :giggle:

Sounds like a great time. Tanned hide would be cool for a man cave. I killed one with a bow once and after I found it thought it didn’t smell bad…a lot like a deer so I brought it home and was going to cook it up. My wife had other ideas….lol. Still kinda wonder what marmot tastes like.

I was able to do some rock chuck shooting in the Bighorns with JW & Kim yesterday. It was good to have a pack on and get away for a bit.
First location was just over 7000 feet in elevation and the last one we went to we were at just over 10,000 feet. The one in the middle is the biggest rock chuck I’ve ever shot before hands-down. We had cloudy weather, sunshine, and some light rain at the lower elevation, then when we got up to the the top, we had rain, sleet, snow, and high wind for a while. After that cloud passed over, winds for from about 8 to 13 miles an hour and gusty. Temperatures were in the lower 40s. IMG_5131.jpegIMG_5142.jpegIMG_5146.jpeg
8T Krieger 22 Creedmoor, built by Michael DeLoach of NRG. Non-designated Model 7, MDT LSS chassis, Holland brake, Burris XTR-III 5-25 (MIL).
80 grain ELD-M at 3154 FPS.
Shots were just over 100 yards, to just under 600 yards.
Longest kill was just under 500 yards

Yesterday was a no go for me.
I got sick on Saturday, and still wasn't good enough to go.
August will be the next time I go now.
Kind of made it over the hump yesterday afternoon, but still tired.
This morning is the best I have felt in several days, with exception of runny nose and coughing

Back