Ruark on hunting rifles

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
I put this down in the African section, but figured I should probably mention it here as well, since there's more "traffic" here and we all seem to be interested in rifles.

I know several of us have hunted Africa, and there is even some use here of the .244 H&H, an interesting and unusual cartridge, highly regarded by Ruark.

So, here's the link to some interesting quotes from a man who did a LOT of African hunting:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=34006&p=368059#p368059

Regards, Guy

The 375 and 244 H & H --love it!

----I also added the 300 and 275 H & H----- just for good measure

and to all those naysayers that told me not to get the 244----I rest my case!

Now all I need is an invitation to hunt Africa ---Jamila are you listening lol

As well as someone to pay for the trip---Grandad are you listening lol

Excellent Guy! Timeless quotes from a dedicated African hunter.

When I was in the 6th grade I found a book in the library named "The old man and the boy". by Robert Ruark. I thought it was something like the "Old man and the sea" but when I scanned through it I saw all kinds of stuff about hunting. And it went home with me.
Today I have read all but a couple of his novels and many short stories. He was and remains my favorite author. A few years ago I did research on Mr. Ruark and found a lot of interesting facts about his early years, were he lived, and his adult life.
A couple of years ago my local library cleansed the shelfs of all of Robert Ruark's writings. I lost my temper with the poor lady who gave me the news and told her just how I felt about disposing all the books by a classic, one of a kind writer!
Fact was nobody had checked any of his books out for a long time. In fact my name was on the last card of the last book checked out.
They had to make room for newer books and authors.
At that time those books and many other older titles were supposed to be auctioned off. I was there but the Ruark books were not.
They had been given away before the auction.

Fortunately Safari Press has re-published several of his books!

Link: https://www.safaripress.com/

Saddens me that his books were removed from the library, but I get it.

I'm one who enjoys so much, reading about great hunts. Hunts near home, hunts in far distant lands... If well written, I enjoy them all.

Regards, Guy

Good post Guy. Thanks!
I enjoy Ruark's writing. Some pretty dry wit in there. The Old Man and The Boy articles are classics.

Back