Ruger Hawkeye M77

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
I might be the proud owner of one soon and was wondering what people think of them that own them. The one that could come my way is a M77 all weather.

I've had a number of them from a Mark I, Mark II to Hawkeyes....generally solid guns. What cartridge are you getting?

I have a Hawkeye All-Weather Ultra Light in 7mm-08 and love it. It shoots very well for a skinny little barrel.

I have had three MK II's and Hawkeye's and they all functioned great and shot well.

I own two Hawkeye rifles. They function well and shoot quite acceptably. Good value at a reasonable price.

I have about 10 or so. 223, 22-250, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7/08, etc, all are great shooters. I have a few MKII rifles also and no disappointments there. The Hawkeyes have better triggers.

It seems no one was interested in it and I won the bid so I'll soon be playing with it at the range.
It will be my first stainless steel fire arm and only the third magnum cartridge I've owned.
Does any one own the all weather model? I'm curious about the quality of the stock and if it's one of the cheep plastic knock offs that Weatherby and some of the others including Winchester used
like Champion and Ram Line.
I pulled the picture off GB and the scope is not included.

Attachments

• pix865884580.jpg
    pix865884580.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,712
I've had a couple All Weather models. I didn't have any complaints with the stock- it's inexpensive, but it was functional.

If the stock doesn't suit you there are lots of aftermarket stocks. I had a Hogue overmolded one on a .375 Ruger... that was pretty nice, it soaked up some recoil and wasn't terribly expensive.

My son has MKII Ruger and I really like it. It came with the walnut stock and I sold that and had a Boyds laminate in a classic style put on it. We had the trigger adjusted by the gunsmith and had the stock pillar and glass bedded.

You might like the feel of the factory stock and how it shoots, but if it were me I would look at getting a Bell and Carlson or something similar with the aluminum bedding block.

As other's have said, what caliber?? You are killing us here!

Same here. I think of the Ruger M77's as the poor mans Model 70... Honestly though, other than being a little rough I find the Rugers to be incredibly tough rifles and have owned a 308 like the 338 like you have in the picture along with a 22-250 and 243. Had a 300 Win Mag MKII. ALL of them were very good rifles TD. Again, my only complaint on any of them is the sharp edges they come with from the factory, but honestly, they are easily polished up and are very smooth with just a little work.

I kinda like the Hawkeye LC6 triggers more than the MOA on the Winchesters to be totally honest. I really don't think you can go wrong with it at all.

The plastic stocks are SO-SO in my opinion, but there are plenty of stock options available for them and Ruger will sell you a nice wood stock for any of them at a reasonable cost as well. Pillars and glass make them incredible stocks too..

The design of the stock was Les Brownells design if I remember correctly and he was no kid at making EXCELLENT stocks.

Oh, and once you factor in the mounts that come on Rugers, they become an even better deal in my opinion. Ruger will send you 30mm rings free of charge as well if you wanted them.. Done that for a few of mine.

I think you have a perfect elk slayer sitting there. Find some RL19 or 17 and some 200 AB's and 210 Partitions and hold on for the ride. Ain't nothing going to live long with either of those bullets in a reasonable location...

gerry":2p56gyjb said:
What is it chambered in?
Gerry it's a 338WM, I was thinking on putting a new barrel on the 35/AI when I ran across this for a lot less than a new barrel so it was a no brainer in my opinion. There's no problem with the 35/AI just full of surprises I don't want when I go for a possible once in a life time hunt and is just added insurance. :grin:
SJB358":2p56gyjb said:
Same here. I think of the Ruger M77's as the poor mans Model 70... Honestly though, other than being a little rough I find the Rugers to be incredibly tough rifles and have owned a 308 like the 338 like you have in the picture along with a 22-250 and 243. Had a 300 Win Mag MKII. ALL of them were very good rifles TD. Again, my only complaint on any of them is the sharp edges they come with from the factory, but honestly, they are easily polished up and are very smooth with just a little work.

I kinda like the Hawkeye LC6 triggers more than the MOA on the Winchesters to be totally honest. I really don't think you can go wrong with it at all.

The plastic stocks are SO-SO in my opinion, but there are plenty of stock options available for them and Ruger will sell you a nice wood stock for any of them at a reasonable cost as well. Pillars and glass make them incredible stocks too..

The design of the stock was Les Brownells design if I remember correctly and he was no kid at making EXCELLENT stocks.

Oh, and once you factor in the mounts that come on Rugers, they become an even better deal in my opinion. Ruger will send you 30mm rings free of charge as well if you wanted them.. Done that for a few of mine.

I think you have a perfect elk slayer sitting there. Find some RL19 or 17 and some 200 AB's and 210 Partitions and hold on for the ride. Ain't nothing going to live long with either of those bullets in a reasonable location...
Thanks Scotty I'll be leaning on you heavy for load development since it's your favorite cartridge. :mrgreen:
The original owner had a Timney installed so it will be that much better since I don't think you can go wrong with a Timney.

You could always put it in a laminated stock from Boyds. Not only would it dress it up a bit, it'd also be a good solid platform for the rifle.

Two things Pard...(1) the 338 wm is possibly one of THE BEST magnums to own, especially with the lighter 160/185 Barnes bullets to play with! #(2) My Model 77 Hawkeye SS All Weather in 338 Federal is a bonafide, .75" shooter with several loads! Stock responds well to bedding,etc. The trigger can be smoothed up extremely well, if not, aftermarket triggers are now plentiful! From what you did with this Whelen, you won't have any issues tricking this one yourself! You are a pretty dang good 'shade tree" gunsmith Rodger! :) You will love it!

For sure Jim. I could be content with just my 338 Win Mag and some decent bullets. Ain't nothing I wouldn't hunt, anywhere with it.. It has ample legs and power to get it all done.

Thanks guys, for the time being it will reside in the factory stock unless it tells me different.

If any one wants to purchase a Vortex Diamond Back HP 3-12X42 with side focus and MOA plex reticle that was mounted but not hunted let me know since I might be looking for something different for it.

Nice score TD. Looking forward to seeing how your load development goes. 338WM will handle just about anything you point it at I'd think.

Thanks BretN.
I just scored on some Nosler blems, brass and 210gr PT for it.
Got to find a set of dies yet.

I have 4 Ruger Model 77's now; all Mark II's.

Actions not as smooth as other makes but will improve with tlc, use and time. Usually pretty accurate (MOA or better), and the newer LC6 triggers better than the previous triggers (identified by the groove in the back of the trigger).

3 of mine came with the pepper laminated stocks. 2 have been customized and are now a 376 Steyr ( and now wears a full length Wenig laminated stock) and a 416 Taylor, and the third will be rebarrelled to 9.3x62.

My newest is the 2009 Lipsey's RSI 250 Savage. Found new in the box on Gunbroker, and imported into Canada.

I believe that you will like your new rifle, but I suggest changing the recoil pad to a Limbsaver as you will find that light stock is going to bite into your shoulder. The new pad will make a big difference in your comfort level when shooting this rifle.

Thanks for the info Gill. Sounds like it will be the first up grade before I shoot it.

Back