Sako m75 SS 270WSM with Leupold Scope Option Comments

Mighty Peace

Handloader
Jul 5, 2006
Just recently picked up a mint Sako m75ss 270WSm in the "SM" action. I have two (actually one now I will sell to my bro-in-law)Tikka T3 LS rifles in the 270WSM caliber with Leupold VXIII 3.5-10x40 and 4.5-14x40 ---both with Boone & Crocket reticles---they work awesome with my 140gr AccuBond reloads.

My question is I am looking at maybe switching-trying something different-in the Leupold VX-R 4-12x40 with the Ballistic reticle. What do you guys think of the this scope? Or should I just stick to what I know works in the VX3 with BC reticle. Will be mounted in either the Sako Optilock Ringmounts or the older R & B set up.

Thanks for the comments.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all !!! :mrgreen:

I think that the VX 3 scope is better optically than the VX-R scopes are. They (Leupold) have tricked out several of their VX-R scopes with special reticles which you can't get in the VX-3 scopes to sell more VX-R scopes. This is a marketing ploy to sell scopes tricked out to make them look better than they perform optically.

I was considering buying a Pig scope 1.25-4x20 VX-R for $480. I thought about it and ended up with a 1.5-5x20 VX3 with the heavy duplex for $399. I think it is a better scope optically and I like the dial controls better than the old VX III scopes. Plus, I like the B&C retical and would pay more for it. I wish that I could have gotten it in the 1.5-5x20 VX3.

Just my opinion.

I too think the VX3 optics are better. I have a couple of the VX3s with BC reticle and have looked through the VX-R on a few occasions. On a bright day my eyes see no difference but when the Leupold trailer was in town I went close to dusk to see how a few of the lines were and the VX-R was one of them. Nice glass but I liked the VX3 better.
If I was looking for new glass on the appropriate gun I would consider the VX-R for the illu reticle. I did turn on the illum reticle on my Vortex when I came around the corner on the power lines with my wheeler heading back to the truck. A couple of elk in the yellow grass. Could not see the cross hair until I turned on the illum. It was deer season so I just watched them for a few until they walked back into the brush.

Go with the VX3 and you'll never regret it. The VXR is simply not the scope that a VX3 is.

Thanks guys. From the feedback here and on other sites I will go with a VX3 --probably 4.5-14x40 with BC reticle. I had the same on the T3 I sold to my bro-inlaw so I could by the Sako m75ss. Just need to debate Matte or Gunmetal Grey-if I can find one still.

Thanks.

You shouldn't have too much difficulty finding this particular scope. Good call.

DrMike":2w62zij4 said:
You shouldn't have too much difficulty finding this particular scope. Good call.

No found a line on a couple. A silver 3.5-10x40 new from a guy - might be the the -good price at $550 and would need to change reticle out, but just send it to Korth Agencies.

New 4.5-14 with BC reticle range from $669-$820 new from retailers. I wil lcheck with Corlanes in Dawson creek to see their prices.

I tried to keep mine that I had on the T3 but since it was set up already with the reloads, my bro-in-law wanted to keep it. Itold him i would get him a less $ scope if he wanted but he has been shooting it for couple years now and likes it.

Thanks again DrMike.

Mighty Peace":27j0t10l said:
DrMike":27j0t10l said:

No found a line on a couple. A silver 3.5-10x40 new from a guy - might be the the -good price at $550 and would need to change reticle out, but just send it to Korth Agencies.

New 4.5-14 with BC reticle range from $669-$820 new from retailers. I wil lcheck with Corlanes in Dawson creek to see their prices.

I tried to keep mine that I had on the T3 but since it was set up already with the reloads, my bro-in-law wanted to keep it. Itold him i would get him a less $ scope if he wanted but he has been shooting it for couple years now and likes it.

Thanks again DrMike.
MP, let me know which Leupold scope you want, I can most likely beat any quote you get 8) ...Lou

Tim is good to deal with at Corlanes. I do know that they had a good supply of VX3s earlier this week. I did not, however, look at them. You will find what you want.

DrMike":16e6cr1z said:
Go with the VX3 and you'll never regret it. The VXR is simply not the scope that a VX3 is.

I have both and I agree.

270wsm":uoq6vjyz said:
Mighty Peace":uoq6vjyz said:
DrMike":uoq6vjyz said:

Thanks again DrMike.
MP, let me know which Leupold scope you want, I can most likely beat any quote you get 8) ...Lou

Thanks Lou. I will send you a PM.

Mighty Peace":353ncqd7 said:

MP, just one word about the 4.5x14 with B&C, mine didn't have a parallax adjustment and made it a little tough to focus well on 13-14X.. I would look at the 30mm tubed ones.

...you must be gettin' OLD, Scotty. I've got that scope & don't miss the AO, even shooting gongs @ 500M. not that great for pdawgs but fine for mule deer/ elk. Maybe too good, I was looking @ elk 360-400yds. today & it didn't matter, I could get a single elk in the scope, there was always @ least 2, sometime 3-4 in the crosshairs...

ishawoobunch_zpsa6367f05.jpg

wildgene":11oawd6w said:
...you must be gettin' OLD, Scotty. I've got that scope & don't miss the AO, even shooting gongs @ 500M. not that great for pdawgs but fine for mule deer/ elk. Maybe too good, I was looking @ elk 360-400yds. today & it didn't matter, I could get a single elk in the scope, there was always @ least 2, sometime 3-4 in the crosshairs...

ishawoobunch_zpsa6367f05.jpg

Gene, I love and hate you, all at the same time!!!!!!!! :grin:

Just kidding, my issue with the scope was during the Summer of Va, in the heat, it just was very hard to focus.

Man, I should have written down your address when you sent the shirts Gene, I will put elk camp on your front lawn next Fall!

Hi Darren, I got your PM, and got back attcha :) ...Based on the things you'r looking for, I can bet that I can save you about $200-$250 :shock: for the 3 items your looking for 8) ....I send my dealer high volume all the time...Lou :mrgreen:

Darren, here's my sako 85 in 270WSM with sako optilok mounts and leupold VX-3 3.5x10x40mm B&C riticle, also with 2 boxes federal ammo, I paid $1900 out the door :shock: ...This rifle did very well on newfoundland moose this year!...Go 3.5x10x40mm pal...Lou :)
003-6.jpg

002-8.jpg

270wsm":23o6x9wm said:
Hi Darren, I got your PM, and got back attcha :) ...Based on the things you'r looking for, I can bet that I can save you about $200-$250 :shock: for the 3 items your looking for 8) ....I send my dealer high volume all the time...Lou :mrgreen:

I might need to pm you next summer :)

The Leupold 3.5-10x40 is a great scope. I have owned several of them over the years and that magnification works great for all around game hunting purposes.

I have two of the VariX III 3.5X10X40 with the BDC. My elk at 520 this fall was shot with one of these. It takes some effort to get the BDC tailored to you load but its well worth it. No hold over, just range, dial and shoot. This elk was my fartherest ever.

I have 3 of my Sako m75 rifles with 3.5-10x40 Leupolds-I love them. I have One T3-270WSM rifle with the 4.5-14x40 BC reticle and the other with a 3.5-10x40-same reticle .

Furthest shot was with my 300WM with the Var-X III 3.5-10x40 with duplex reticle at 554m - my largest whitetail--a 8x7 that scored just under 175". Next was a bull moose @ 475m.

Just got to decide 3.5 or the 4.5

Back