Same Caliber, different rifles, same bullet

"Those of you who are set up to reload several different calibers of rifles and revolvers, plus shotguns, what do you think you have invested in reloading equipment ?"
I bought my reloading press, scale and misc stuff in the early 60's, and still use it. Of course I have bought dies, a newer scale and other stuff but probably have spent less than $500.
I still have bullets that were bought in the 70's, primers of the same era, cases, and limited amounts of powder of that age. I can still load a rifle cartridge for less than 10 cents, but those days are just about gone. I am pretty thrifty when I purchase and buy seconds and powder by the bulk, and have bought nothing over the counter for many years. I probably have less than $5000 in components, and what I have now will last me until I am done

Europe":25y1qw3y said:
We had a really good conversation yesterday with 6 men from different parts of Europe who love to hunt, some reload, some dont and a couple of interesting subjects arose from that conversation. Only hunters, no competition shooters. And everyone in the conversation was over 60.

1. Do you shoot enough to really save any money reloading or do you feel the accuracy gained in reloading is worth the trouble or do you simply enjoy reloading

2. Weathery and Norma was their picks for the best factory ammo--yours ?

3. Many of them use the same store bought ammo and reloads in the same caliber rifle but different rifle--do you or do you load for each rifle to obtain maximum accuracy ( same load for two different 30-06 rifles)

4. what accuracy are you happy with at 200 yards ? Most hunters in Europe and Africa dont hunt at the distance you fellows hunt at

I handload to shoot more. Plus I can pick the bullet I want to use i.e. Nosler,Swift,Sierra,North Fork... etc. Then load that bullet to my rifle.

Never tried them.

Yes,I use a different load in each rifle,for instance,in the two .30/06's I load for,it's the same bullet & powder but different powder charges.

Never put the rifles on paper at 200 yards. My shots have been 200 yds or less.

Europe":3ksa8u0h said:
Those of you who are set up to reload several different calibers of rifles and revolvers, plus shotguns, what do you think you have invested in reloading equipment ?

What is your estimate on when that cost was paid for ( by having lowered your ammo purchasing cost ) and you actually started saving money on your reloading products ?

How many of you have your own range or do you have to pay for range time and can only go at certain times? .

I've probably got about $1000US in my equipment from the early 90s. I recouped the cost back in the day as an IDPA/IPSC/PPC competitor when I sometimes shot as much as a 1500 rounds of 45ACP in a week...I likely recovered the cost savings pretty fast with that kind of volume. Now, it would take me years to recoup the cost with just my rifle ammo these days. The biggest expense currently for me is purely the time involved in tinkering with rifle loads. One day I may have more of it, but not at the moment.

I've been fortunate that at two of my homes I had my own range out back. Today, I go to public land and shoot (legally) on a very large drainage project. It's a perfect (although unintended) rifle range. It has no amenities other than location and a good back stop.

elkhunternm, Norma sells loaded ammo using bullets from swift, woodleigh, nosler and other, besides their own of course. Their oryx is a nice bullet

Charles, do you buy loaded ammo from weatherby for the 340 or load it yourself using Northfork bullets ?

Dr Mike, have you used the Norma Oryx 250 gr in your 358 ? We have some, but I dont know if it is as easy for us to send them to you as it is when we send Scotty something ?? ( Canada customs ? )

April, we do both --we use the same load in two different rifles in calibers starting with four, but we also have loads specifically loaded for them as well. We have three 7x 64's that are well used for plains game and I am not sure how or why this happen but we use the same load in all three---so--it depends. I will again say that I agree with Hodgeman, ammo off the shelf shoots as good as I do, which means the ammo off the shelf, especially from Norma, has gotten better or I am a lousy shot compared to most of you fellows.

Best Regards

Jamila

Charles, do you buy loaded ammo from weatherby for the 340 or load it yourself using Northfork bullets ?

Jamila,

I feed that .340 wby. 240 grain North Forks for a couple reasons. One is I like the construction, it's ability to open at just about any angle and speed, it's the best penetrating expanding bullet out there and because Dallas liked them. 7 jugs at 25' is pretty darn good penetration and they are just under .5" @ 100 and exactly 1.5" @ 300 yards. The only knock is that they don't have the BC that most folks want. My answer to that is send it out the barrel at 3027 fps and you don't have to worry about it. :lol:

The barrel break in was done with wby factory ammo, spire points (250 gr. @ 3040-3050 fps) That's warp speed and they also came in under .5" @ 100 yards. Also took a few animals with that bullet.

If desired I could get more speed out of the NF's but, they are solid copper and I was advised that they will stick a little more than guilding metal, so I do not push them as hard. Besides, 340 RUM owners get a little sick in the stomach when a 340 wby drags their arse.................. :shock:

Africa Huntress":29yoqu77 said:
Dr Mike, have you used the Norma Oryx 250 gr in your 358 ? We have some, but I dont know if it is as easy for us to send them to you as it is when we send Scotty something ?? ( Canada customs ? )

Jamila,

I have not used Norma Oryx in any of my .358 calibre rifles. I likely will never be able to shoot up all the premium bullets I do have, however. I have used Oryx bullets in both my .280 Rem and in my 7mm RM in years past. I see a good representation of Oryx bullets in several calibres (8 mm and 9.3 mm, in particular). We are able to buy Norma bullets here in Canada, but I have focused on other bullets. In either the .356 or the .358 Win, velocities are not high enough to justify the premium bullets, though I do run TSX bullets in my .358 Win on occasion. In the .358 Norma Magnum, I was focusing on 280 grain A-Frame and 275 grain Woodleigh bullets when I last worked with it.

DrMike":1p4kqc9h said:
Africa Huntress":1p4kqc9h said:

Jamila,

I have not used Norma Oryx in any of my .358 calibre rifles. I likely will never be able to shoot up all the premium bullets I do have, however. I have used Oryx bullets in both my .280 Rem and in my 7mm RM in years past. I see a good representation of Oryx bullets in several calibres (8 mm and 9.3 mm, in particular). We are able to buy Norma bullets here in Canada, but I have focused on other bullets. In either the .356 or the .358 Win, velocities are not high enough to justify the premium bullets, though I do run TSX bullets in my .358 Win on occasion. In the .358 Norma Magnum, I was focusing on 280 grain A-Frame and 275 grain Woodleigh bullets when I last worked with it.

I've still got some 250 Oryxs that J and family sent. Never finalized a load but I really should. Great billets. I may try them again from the Newton and see what I can get to perk.

Back