Savage Model 11 disassembly .....

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Ok seriously, how tough can it be.... :? :lol: :p So long story short. Finally pulled my donor rifle out of the safe with plans to sell it. The extra 250 Savage aint happening...but that's another story.... So I decide to take it apart and see how the bedding rail works in one of these savages. I take ou the visible screws from the underside of the stock. (one holds the back of the trigger guard only). Get them all out and it still wont come apart. I tug, pry and pull the point where the stock flexes... Ok this aint worth breaking something. So, I try and put it all together and the forward action screw no longer has threads... :shock: :twisted: :roll: So I get a good light and start looking through the hole. What looks to be a nut has slid out of position WTHeck?!?!? So I fish around in the hole for 20 minutes and get the "nut" lined up so the stock bolt will snug up. However now the barrel wont seat down in the stock channel the way it should. AW c'mon!! :roll: :evil: I shouldn't need a smith to take the dang thing in and out of a stock. What gives?

Maybe Im not suppoded to sell? If it goes to the smith its coming home a 250- Savage. D@ng thing!CL

Mine is a PITA to take apart. Did you find the third screw under the bolt release? Assuming you have a center stack magazine fed version.

hodgeman":2ek2lhie said:
Mine is a PITA to take apart. Did you find the third screw under the bolt release? Assuming you have a center stack magazine fed version.

Don't have time to look tonight....under the bolt release....?? :shock: :? :oops: :oops: :roll: Good Grief. Thanks (for not totally laughing me off the board) :) CL

See if this helps...there are a few variants of the model 11 action.

Be careful with the front screw- I used a cheap (probably slightly undersized) allen wrench...and stripped the bolt head. That'll be a pain to fix.

Attachments

• Savage 11.JPG
    Savage 11.JPG
    711.7 KB · Views: 1,513
Thanks Hodgeman- but I think mine might be a little different. Maybe mine was an Accustock? I bought it used and unlabeled. so here's what mine looks like:

From right to left, the rear trigger screw (dosent need to come out). Front guard screw, this one comes out and holds the rear of the action.

It is hidden under the bolt release as noted above (pictured below)

The screw in front of the magazine needs to come out too. Its a three handed project to keep the release out of the way. Last on the left is a short allen screw that is recessed into the stock. This is threaded into the little aluminum block pictured below.

As pictured, that little aluminum block gets wedged into a channel in the aluminum "rail" in the that's is imbedded in the plastic of the stock, and when tightened the block snugs up against the recoil lug. (Sorry- I thought I had a picture of the stock but apparently not). When that screw is tightened, the wedge snugs up between a notch in the rail in the stock and the recoil lug on the barrel. the other two screws go straight into the bottom of the action. Looks pretty darn solid to me. Serious PITA to put back together. I started the screw into the little wedge, held the action, muzzle down against my thigh, and placed the stock onto the action, wiggling everything into the right place (I hope). It must have worked because once I snugged up the screw it all stayed together, Put in the other screws, loosened the first one and retightened them all.

So, long story short there are three screws that hold this one together. Anyhow, if this isn't an accu-stock, its pretty impressive.

Back