Scope choices for a 270Weatherby Mag

G

I have recently come into ownership of a Mark V in 270Wby, with the requisite 26" barrel. I am considering what scope to put on it, and thought I had everything worked out, but I suddenly find myself thinking I may be making a wrong choice. So, for those of you out there with a comparable magnum gun, which I will use primarily for white-tailed deer, but also for pronghorn, and (hopefully) elk, what do you have on your guns, and what would you do differently if you are not totally happy with your selection?

I am open to a variety of manufacturers, but my budget precludes the euro glass as I am not working with cubic money.

dubyam

I have a 700 LSS in 338 RUM with a Leupold VXIII 2.5x8. My longest kill is on an elk at 350 yds. I have been shooting it at 400 yds and have no problem shooting 2-3" groups at a 6" bullseye at 400 yds.
I am planning on putting a Mark 4 4.5x14 scope on it next year, but for hunting, the 2.5x8 works fine.
Depending on what you want to use your rifle for, a 3.5x10 will cover you out to 700-800 yds but also allow for close shots in the thick stuff.
Buy a good quality scope for your rifle. For the money, its tough to beat a Leupold. The VXIII series scopes are tough and very bright.

JD338

I have a Swarovski 4-12X50 on my 270 wby Ultralightweight.
Maybe a little more magnification than you would normally need, but occasionally the extra power can come in handy. I have had good luck with Swarovski scopes, they are expensive, but are worth it IMHO.

I also have a swaroski a-line 4x12x50 and would highly recommend them. I had it mounted on a Sako chambered in 270 Armold mag which is a little warmer than the weatherby and now it's on a 300 win mag encore with no problems. Great scope.

You're looking at a wide range of big-game hunting applications, whitetail to elk. Also, I'd bet that you'll be getting shots at various ranges from up close to rather far out there...

For a good general purpose hunting scope that holds up well, and will allow you to quickly and accurately place your shot, seriously consider Leupold's 3.5-10x. Excellent scope, with many of the same attributes of the wonderful 2.5-8x used by JD338.

Dial it down to 3.5x and it's good for quick, short-range encounters with big game. Those shot opportunities may be very fleeting, and a guy needs to get on them quickly. Dial it up to 8 or 10x, and it's perfect for accurate shot placement on big game, even at 500+ yards.

I've got one on a .300 RUM that I really like. If I ever sell the rifle, I'm keeping the scope! The 3.5-10, VX-III is avail through SWFA for $469.95, and is a darned fine hunting scope. http://www.riflescopes.com

BTW - I've been happily using Leupolds for 30+ years now. In all that time I've only had one scope that ever needed fixing. Leupold had it fixed, for free, and back in my hands within a week. I think that is pretty darned impressive!

Regards, Guy

Well, I was tempted to go into a long dissertation here about why I would recommend a 4.5X14X40 LR Leupold VX-111, but thought better of it.

Suffice it to say that I have one mounted on a 270WSM and one on a 300WSM and am totally impressed. Those 30mm scopes really are bright! And the dual dovetail mounting system for the 30mm scopes are rock solid.

My biggest concern with going with that much scope was the field of view at the lower powers. I bought my scopes with the Boone and Crockett reticle. The crosshairs really stand out in these scopes. I was worried about close running shots.

Not to worry. About a month ago I shot a wild hog at a dead run at maybe fifty yards with the 300 WSM, and this last weekend I shot a black bear that was flat hauling ass at about the same range with the 270WSM. Both nicely placed shots that were made in a big hurry.

That Boone and Crockett reticle works, I have access to a gong at 400 yards and I can center punch that gong repeatedly using the 400 yard mark in those scopes.

I think that scope would be perfect for you 270 Wby Mag.

R Flowers - I've got a 4.5-14x Loopie on my .25-06, and it works out great there. Have also used it on a 7mm Rem mag. Excellent scope, and I was tempted to recommend it, but thought the 3.5-10x was a better all around choice for a big game rifle. Either way would be great.

You're right about that dual-dovetail mount - very solid. That's what I've got on my .300 RUM.

Regards, Guy

I have a 5x15x50 elite on my accumark, and love it. The extra magnification does come in real handy at times.

Back