Scope for Model 70 Featherweight?

I had a Leupold VII 2x7 on my first FWT. I later had a Sightron compact 3x9 (no longer made) I have also used the Weaver 2x10 on several rifles, even hard kickers, and they worked great. The last one I put on a Model 70 FWT that was rebarreled to the 9.3x62, and gave the rig to my Youth Minister. He has taken several elk with it through the years. They won't "overwhelm" your rifle, but bigger than that and you will lose the handling benefits of the FWT, if that's important to you. I've also used a lot of Burris scopes, especially the Fullfield 3x9, but they are heavier, of course. I use whats known as the "Leupold Sight In Target"...it has 4 two inch black squares separated so you place your crosshairs in between them and see "daylight" all around your crosshairs. It works even with a 1x muzzleloader scope. On the short action, you may end up using the reversible front ring to get the right eye relief and good scope support. Its not unusual. I used the Leupold RF rings and turned it forward to get a lot of support on that 2x10. I don't like having a lot of scope "hanging out" in front of my front ring...too easy for me to bend it when I "undoubtedly will slip down"! :oops: I bought a Burris Timberline 4.5x14 with AO and put it on my BAR 270. its only 11.3" long and surprisingly lightweight, good clear optics. Its right at $279 at Midway. I don't think you will go wrong with the Weaver 2x10 though, you just may have to play with the mounts to get it where you want is all. Good luck Pard!

I recently purchased 2 Nikon Prostaff 4-12 x 40 and have really been impressed with the fit and quality. Usually around $200, but you can catch them on sale and get a better deal. I have a couple Leupold VX1's, and the Nikon's are a step up for sure..
Take care
Ed

Be sure and let us know, desert, what you end up deciding, we all want to learn! Now later on, when you sell something, trade or save up your coins...I suggest a leupold VIII 2.5x8 "such" a great scope! I also have and like very, very much, the VIII 1.5x5, I have the 2.5x8 on my Mod 700 classic .280 and my 1.5x5 on my FWT classic 30-06. Berries, pure berries! :)

I got to check out the rifle today. Love it! Just have to wait the mandatory 10 days to make sure my 10th firearm won't be the one that sends me over the edge...lol. Oh well. I ordered a Weaver K4 to put on it for now. At 10oz for the scope, it should at least remain a light and handy rifle.

Good choice on the K4. I really liked my cheap Bushnell. Never had to worry about what power to use, just point and shoot. Let us know how you like it.

JD338":3hr9dvty said:
VX-3i 2.5-8x36mm would be just about perfect.

JD338

THIS!^^^^^^
In my opinion 50 mm Never ever belongs on anything that svelte and sexy as a Mod 70 featherweight!
If funds are a problem a Burris 2x7 fullfield like this is perfect!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BURRIS-200317-F ... SwmLlX6ycU

If you want something cheaper and slicker (not necessarily less quality) I have a JAPANESE model 2x7 Nikon that rocks for sale. Let me know.

A 4x Weaver will work fine! Back in Bible College, (87-89) in Tulsa, OK. I had one rifle and scope ( I had pared down everything in order to eat regularly and pay for school, etc ha) ...my old 1917 Enfield my uncle gave me as a teen and it had a Tasco 4x with 4 MOA Dot! I learned to hold the tip top of the dot for some very precise shooting. I could only shoot my handloads at the range, didn't hunt there, but the first trip to the Utah mountains in '90 it fogged up like two rats in a wool sock! ha. I still have around here somewhere an older steel model Weaver K4 from the '70s. I had it put on a Marlin 22 magnum bolt gun, it had the Fine crosshairs which worked swell. A 4x will still give you plenty of field of vision for the woods and out longer, hey, big game animals 'don't need magnifying", do they? 8) :) (y)

A few years of bow hunting has given me a more realistic view of hunting! To be perfectly honest, I've yet to kill anything other than varmints beyond 150yds. Thanks for keeping my feet on the ground guys.

Yep, I just thought I "knew how" to hunt until I started bowhunting in '76! I did that until about 85, then got too busy with Ministry/school,etc. It sure affected the way I think about hunting. I still love to hunt the edges of aspen/dark timber out here with a rifle!

Not the greatest picture, but here it is with the Weaver K4. Fits great, but it could use some more eye relief. I'm actually considering getting another Featherweight stock and shortening the LOP about an inch.

Attachments

• 20161018_192231.jpg
    20161018_192231.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 646
That is a CLASSIC rifle. Just a thought, would a set of extension rings give you the eye relief you are looking for w/o changing the stock? CL

Possible that different rings might help. I may get used to it after a bit of shooting? I really love DNZ rings though. My buddy that works at a shop/gunsmith told me that they are some of the only rings he has seen that haven't needed lapping.

Nice looking rig! I tend to "crawl the stock" when I'm excited, i.e. taking a shot at game. Try some fast shouldering with the rifle, picking up a small spot out a bit. Most Americans ( for some reason) tend to crawl the stock. A leupold will give you more eye relief, but hey, no rush. Enjoy yourself!

Checking back in. I did some shooting looking for an accurate hunting load. I found that the 4x scope was not doing it for me although, I'm quite sure that 4x is more than enough for 95% of the hunting situations where I've taken a shot. I found a great deal on a Bushnell ultra HD 4.5-14 and it's now sitting on my model 70...oh the blasphemy!

I'm not sure what will eventually end up on there at this point. I may leave the Bushnell as it seems pretty nice, the Weaver K4 could go back on but I'm not super happy with the eye relief or I also picked up a used Leopold 2-7 32mm?

My 2-7 Leupold went on my new .22LR when it came back from customer service. I miss it on my fwt, but won't take it off the .22. I never felt under scoped with the 2-7 on my 280 fwt though. Plenty of power for range work and hunting. For the woods we hunt in a 100 yard shot is a long shot. 2 or 3x on the bottom end of magnification helps for close range work on walking animals. If I go back to a 2-7, I'll pick up one with a ballistic compensation reticle.

I really like the straight 4 or 6X scopes these days. Pretty simple and usually mount up nice. A 2x7 isn't a bad call either. Honestly it's hard to recommend a scope that'll work as we all hunt different areas and have different eyesight.

That's a great looking rifle though. I'm sure it's gotta be handy.

Back