Scope for my new AR-15

shoots_5

Handloader
May 15, 2009
I've completed my build and have been debating what Optics to top it with....rifle is designed to be a 700 yard and in gun that will end up filling quite a few different roles but will primarily be a medium range capable varmint rifle. Working on load development but will likely be shooting the 73gr eld-m if it works well with my rifle.

I've gone back and forth with scope options with the primary debate being between exposed target turrets or reticle hold over. On my long range bolt rifles I have target turrets and I'm used to dialing for yardage. However I'm also keeping an eye on weight and balance with this rifle and non target turret scopes are a lot lighter....which ultimately has led me to this scope as my front runner. The http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vor ... pe/reticle vortex razor HD LH 2-10x40 with the HSR-4 reticle. It is compact, lightweight, good glass and should provide enough hold over on the reticle for a little over 700 yards with a 100 yard zero.

Anyone have experience with this scope? Or suggestions on a scope that would cover my requirements?

I estimated some velocities and compared drop with the 68gr bthp and the 73gr eld-m and wrote the corresponding yardage on each reticle subtension to compare where it would get me to.
bd48733380a258c3d120dea62e6ac0b4.jpg

6bd3187fef99988ee1fc2839e091bd2a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Razor is excellent glass that competes very well with most top-end glass. I should imagine you are going to be quite pleased.

I like the mag range, no need for a hubble in this envelope, but consider a mil-hair reticle. Once you learn mils, very easy to make rapid hits at range with holdover and kentucky.

Polaris":1nuyhbtt said:
I like the mag range, no need for a hubble in this envelope, but consider a mil-hair reticle. Once you learn mils, very easy to make rapid hits at range with holdover and kentucky.

Agreed. I would much prefer a mrad scope as that's what I have on my bolt guns but I haven't found one yet that matched up with features I wanted better than the vortex. Please let me know if you have any suggestions on others.

My second choice was the vortex PST Gen II 2-10X32 FFP MRAD. But at 26.3oz verses 15.4oz on the razor.....I wasn't sure I wanted to add the extra weight. The plus side would be exposed turrets, illuminated reticle and mils vs moa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back