Scope Poor, Need some help.

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
I have a STW and a 6.5 SAUM and only one scope. The STW is heavy, 13 lbs, and it's primary purpose is plinking around in the range and my wife loves it for hunting. I have to pack it for her, but with the weight and brake, she shoots it very well.

The 6.5 SAUM is 10 lbs rifle. It is mostly going to be used on the range as well, but if I ever get the chance to hunt Antelope, this will be the rifle for the job. It might see a few deer hunts here and there. This is also my truck gun for coyotes around the farm. So a good field of view is pretty important for finding the little buggers running through the sage.

The current scope that is sharing time between the two of the rifles is a VXIII 6-20x50LR with a TMR. It seems to work pretty dang well. I just can't make up my mind as to what I want for a second scope. Range work is out to 1,400 yards, hunting ranges are much, much less.

I'm open for suggestions. I'm not unhappy with the VXIII at all, just wondering if there are any better suggestions.

For the price these have a pretty good reputation as a good scope. Might not be what you want but it is worth a look.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/C4.html

If money is an issue right now (and it is for many of us at times) an older used Leupold would be good since they have a good warranty.

Given your statements above, you might consider the HD5 Conquest... Low-power for wide field of view, but can pick the hair off a gnat's duff at the higher powers. If I have a gripe about that scope it's that it is noticeably heavier than a Swaro or Leupold on light-weight rigs, but on a heavier rifle the difference may be negligible.

There's always the Z5/Z6, but at 2-3 times the price of the HD5 as well.

I just bought my second HD5, 3-15x42 in the past 6 months. Hard to justify the $1500-2000 which some branded German scopes cost when the HD5 gets the job done at about 2/3's the cost. I have not decided which rifle to put this scope on yet but wish the avoid the dreaded winter (5) scope shuffle. Since you only are working with two rifles, that should simplify the drill somewhat.

Some of the guys really like the Minox ZA-5 :wink: it might be worth a look!

Blessings,
Dan

Jake,
What's your budget? Last month I picked up a used VX3 4.5x14x40 LR side focus for $400. Great scope and it has the VH reticle. Something like that would be great for the 6.5saum. On the more expensive spectrum I'm saving up for either a VX6 or Mark6 in 3x18. Leupold has really stepped up it's game in tactical type scopes. Then there is always a NF or SB if you've got money to burn.

Thanks guys. I'll do some looking into the suggestions. I do like the idea of finding another good used VXIII. That's what I did with the scope that is on my 6.5 now and has been on my STW. I can't complain about it much at all. I am pretty sure that I'm not going with another Vortex. I really love their turrets, and the FFP Moa ret. But it just is not as clear. And for what these two rifles do, I want more clarity in my optics.

If you want clarity for a good price I'd look hard at the remaining Zeiss Conquest scopes. redhawkrifles.com has the 4.5x14x50's for 499.00. They are clearer than my Nightforces as are the HD5's but the HD5's are considerably more $$$.

Jake, if you decide to buy a Minox ZA5, I have a 2-10x40 BDC that I will give you a good deal on!

So I was doing some looking, have any of you guys ever looked through a Sightron SIII 6-25x50 LR? They have a FFP Moa ret. Looks pretty dang cool, as well as Moa turrets. I used to have a 3-9 SI that was pretty nice for a $150 scope. Makes me wonder how the glass on the SIII would stack up. It is priced at the very upper end of what I was wanting to spend, and I have not read a bad review yet.

Any thoughts?

I have a SII big sky 6x24 on my 6mm br and a friend has a SIII big sky 8x32 LR they both have great glass I think you would be very happy with a sightron.

Save some money and get on snipershide optics for sale. People are dumping the older nightforce NXS line at bargain prices. That is where i would look for a great scope in the 1200 range.

That SWFA looks tempting. I just can't decide if I want more top end magnification the 15X. For the most part all this scope will be used for is coyotes, LR gongs and a speed goat or two if the state of Oregon should ever feel I'm worthy.

As far as budget goes, I would really like to keep it under $1,000. The further under the better. I have a few features that really turn me on, but I'm having a hard time finding a FFP reticle that has the same elevation measurements as the turrets ,with zero stop, and a magnification range that is both low enough and high enough to do everything that I want to, while having very clear glass. Maybe I'm asking for to much :?

I currently have a Vortex Viper LR 4-16 on my 338/375R. I really like all the functions of it, but it is just not that clear at full magnification.

Back