Scope suggestions

We've covered quite some ground....

Spider Monkey has gone easy on me today. He must be plotting....

Nah, Scotty is busy. He'd never plot again a friend. You are a friend, are you not?

DrMike":c5l9bxma said:
Nah, Scotty is busy. He'd never plot again a friend. You are a friend, are you not?

I sure hope so!!!! :shock:

Actually, at this point, with the rifle seeming to be a non-starter (unless I hear/see something to change my mind from the guy selling them), I'm leaning toward just bagging the whole works and pocketing the money allocated to this (tax refund money) for my flintlock project.

Yeah, that flintlock should be a fascinating piece of work. I believe you told us, but I'm too lazy to look it up, what is your projected timeline on that project?

DrMike":27dqm0f5 said:
Yeah, that flintlock should be a fascinating piece of work. I believe you told us, but I'm too lazy to look it up, what is your projected timeline on that project?

2-3 years out till it's done.....depends on the other 41 rifles in the queue ahead of me, lol.

OK, ping pong volleyed again...still waiting to see the 300....

In the meantime, Swaro Z6 deals at CLNY and on SWFA....I have a Z6 at the point where all i need to do is push "Pay". I am wavering......it's a lot of money....a LOT of money....great buy, but a LOT of money....

Trying to decide if I want to buy the Z6 and go full tilt (and get mutilated by my wife), go to the Leica ER for about 2/3 the cost, or just get another Minox at a tiny fraction of the cost and call it a day....even if the 300 doesn't happen, rifle projects in the works either way.

Personally, I would buy the Leica ER or Zeiss Dialyte for about $1000. However, that is just conservative me talking. I have two scopes that cost well over $1000 (Zeiss and Swarovski) and (2) that cost about $600 in 2002 dollars (Kahles). For the difference in price, I can not see that much difference. Just my $.02.

I do not hunt and will not hunt Africa or dangerous game but maybe you will? You have to decide what works for you Tom. I do not think there is a bad decision there, just relative quality for price.

For some reason, the Duralyt isn't getting me that excited, Charlie. I had a reason, but I haven't looked at them online in a bit. I remember there was something about them I didn't get all warm and fuzzy over, but I forget what it was.

The VX6 teases me. It seems like a red herring at times.....it is "released", but good luck finding one. Half their advertised product line is not available yet, nor is there an ETA on them. SWFA has none in stock and has no idea when more will be available.

Part of me wants to go with another Minox and call it good, lol.

I would not feel cheated with the new Leica, and for a maybe scope, there is nothing wrong with a Minox. This, coming from a guy who loves his Z6. It will be fascinating to see what you do.

I need to get some popcorn popped.. This is going to be good! :lol:

antilipepopcorn.gif

"Maybe scope," defines a scope I purchased to have on hand for that unexpected rifle that sidles into my safe. I provide this just in case someone missed the import of a "maybe scope." :grin: Right now, I've got a couple of "maybe scopes," a Conquest and a Diavari.

Question- would a Z3 4-12x50 likely need med or high mounts on a pre-64? Saw a pretty good buy on one at Cabela's, but I don't want to wind up with a real high mount and a terrible cheek weld.

Like Talleys, but not totally set on one or another. Not really keen on a rail on a pre-'64. I know you like them, Scotty, and were I doing another NEW rifle, I would probably get one, but I'm not sure I want to drop one on a classic rifle like that. I know, I know, the scope sure isn't "classic", but just my preference. LOL

I get it Tom. I probably wouldn't do a rail on a Pre 64 either.

Maybe check out the Talley bases and ring set up. Might get a little more adjustment out of them and still keeping with the traditional rifle lines?

You are putting out hard questions Tom.. I am able to slap rails on everything. Never had to worry about a Pre 64 before!

'Tis done.

Z3, 4-12x50 BT is now in my possession. I walked out the door of Cabela's with it for a price that made me worry the police would be following me home, so I couldn't turn it down. Let's just say that I could not have bought a 2-12 VX6 for what I have in the Swaro. I probably did better than the price of a VX6 by $100-$150.

tddeangelo":3gcyvqxa said:
'Tis done.

Z3, 4-12x50 BT is now in my possession. I walked out the door of Cabela's with it for a price that made me worry the police would be following me home, so I couldn't turn it down. Let's just say that I could not have bought a 2-12 VX6 for what I have in the Swaro. I probably did better than the price of a VX6 by $100-$150.

Holy Cow Tomovski! Finally made a decision. Now what are we going to make fun of? :lol:

Pat's new username suggestion for Kelly might do...he suggested the initials for Jack O'Connor (for the rifle) and Kelly combined....

;)

Back