Scope suggestions

The rifle is beginning to sound more than a little "iffy," Tom; a good scope is never "iffy." I always keep one or two around; they serve to induce reproduction of rifles (just to use the scope) and also ensure that I am prepared when a really good rifle shows up.

DrMike":ut6mdhb6 said:
The rifle is beginning to sound more than a little "iffy," Tom; a good scope is never "iffy." I always keep one or two around; they serve to induce reproduction of rifles (just to use the scope) and also ensure that I am prepared when a really good rifle shows up.

Mike is pretty much on track.. I am sure you could use it on something till you get the 300 squared away and they are only going to go up in price. I guess it all kinda hinges on what you see when you actually see the rifle Tom. That'll mean much more than all of this. I do think the Leica would be one of them scopes you would never want to be without..

SJB358":36r99l9u said:
DrMike":36r99l9u said:

Mike is pretty much on track.. I am sure you could use it on something till you get the 300 squared away and they are only going to go up in price. I guess it all kinda hinges on what you see when you actually see the rifle Tom. That'll mean much more than all of this. I do think the Leica would be one of them scopes you would never want to be without..

I asked what other pre-64's exist and are available for sale. Maybe there's another road to take....despite my interest in a 300H&H.

Tom, however this turns out, we're pulling for you. I do hope you are able to secure a nice action or a really quality rifle out of the deal. Whatever comes of this exercise, you will still need a good scope. And the necessity of a "good" scope will only accelerate as time progresses. Time has a way of degrading our vision, and our buying potential.

DrMike":25bje0a1 said:
Tom, however this turns out, we're pulling for you. I do hope you are able to secure a nice action or a really quality rifle out of the deal. Whatever comes of this exercise, you will still need a good scope. And the necessity of a "good" scope will only accelerate as time progresses. Time has a way of degrading our vision, and our buying potential.

I'm actually leaning toward bypassing the rifle altogether, but will gather my info before making a decision.

What I might do, however, is grab that Leica for my '06, move the Conquest from the '06 to the 6.5 Swede I was thinking of buying from my dad as a project gun, and going from there.

tddeangelo":2zkayqmj said:
I asked what other pre-64's exist and are available for sale. Maybe there's another road to take....despite my interest in a 300H&H.

Or you could find one of the 06 length actions and BUILD your 35 Whelen or 338-06 Tom on a Pre 64. I would be beside myself with jealous rage I am not sure I could contain, but it would be a rifle that would really fill in a gap for you. Just a thought? I am sure he has some actions around the shop?

Did I muddy up the waters (again)? I mean come on, a 338 or 35 on a pre 64. I don't really know what else you would ever want to hunt with!

tddeangelo":1u290z5e said:
Oh man, Scotty....dang it Spider Monkey! Curses! You got me again!

Tom-------- This thread is almost as long as the Beaver Lodge is LE!

You got options and like Mike said, a rifle of that caliber would rate a fine scope... Plus, you would get exactly what you want with no surprises and fill your gap. I have your loads already covered down on, if you went Whelen, but the 338-06 is a good choice as well!

Already nosing around for actions...and will see if Dana has any...and if any of those M70 barrels he has on hand are 358's....lol.

tddeangelo":uoq4t5la said:
Already nosing around for actions...and will see if Dana has any...and if any of those M70 barrels he has on hand are 358's....lol.

Never now, maybe he has a M70 Featherweight 358 Winchester!

Now that would be a score! Talk about scarce!

Hmmm....a nice standard action in a good hunk of walnut with a leica situated up top and a chamber cut for a whelen....

Scotty might just implode...

Spider monkey?!? Does this mean that Scotty has assumed a new personae? It could be interesting. I wonder if Brian or Bill have anything to contribute to this thread at this point?

tddeangelo":3utrzr14 said:
Hmmm....a nice standard action in a good hunk of walnut with a leica situated up top and a chamber cut for a whelen....

Scotty might just implode...

You aren't kidding! That would be SWEET! Classy is all I can think of really. It would make Kelly druel a bit too!

DrMike":365f7cfe said:
Spider monkey?!? Does this mean that Scotty has assumed a new personae? It could be interesting. I wonder if Brian or Bill have anything to contribute to this thread at this point?

Mike-------- They are trying to rename me!

Bill and Brian's butt stunk just as bad, I just had more volume!

Mike, that's his new nickname....

I am thinking actually of squirreling away a Leica and let the chips fall where they may on the rifle. As was pointed out, that deal on the Leica may not appear twice, but rifles will come and go.

Scotty, I believe Brian tossed the first rock. In science, the one who names a new species is allowed to claim those rights and everyone respects the convention. I dunno' if something similar should apply here. :roll:

Tom, Whenever you see a decent price on a good scope, you should grab it. Just think of how many Model 70s chambered in 300 RUM are showing up for sale. On the other hand, there may be a reason so many are selling! :shock:

SJB358":18bo0hx0 said:
DrMike":18bo0hx0 said:

Mike-------- They are trying to rename me!

Bill and Brian's butt stunk just as bad, I just had more volume!

You made the drunk guy at Burger King chunk his guts! I remember wanting to chunk my guts in the truck, but knock myself out trying to get my head out the window.

I probably should feel bad for clarifying this matter of renaming. Somehow, I'm laughing too hard to feel badly about it. :mrgreen:

DrMike":yw0wu990 said:
Scotty, I believe Brian tossed the first rock. In science, the one who names a new species is allowed to claim those rights and everyone respects the convention.

I concur with the Doc on this one!!!

Tom,

Don't fall for the Spider Monkey's mind games with rifles! He tried real hard with me yesterday. I have the Remmy ADL 270 that needs a different barrel on it, but that is way down the list of stuff that will get done. Spider Monkey wants me to bump up the time frame. I need optics more than a new 6.5-280AI or 280AI.

Woodycreek":1xnhhkpr said:
DrMike":1xnhhkpr said:
Scotty, I believe Brian tossed the first rock. In science, the one who names a new species is allowed to claim those rights and everyone respects the convention.

I concur with the Doc on this one!!!

Tom,

Don't fall for the Spider Monkey's mind games with rifles! He tried real hard with me yesterday. I have the Remmy ADL 270 that needs a different barrel on it, but that is way down the list of stuff that will get done. Spider Monkey wants me to bump up the time frame. I need optics more than a new 6.5-280AI or 280AI.

Wow, he's a wiley ol' Spider Monkey.....he's got a few irons in the fire here I see!

Back