Scope suggestions

tddeangelo":3nr8okg7 said:
or maybe just another Minox! LOL

That is where I am at. Don't know why I tried to sway. They work and look too good to mess around on them.

Probably not helpful Tom, but interesting! My only thought of a reason to do this would be for mounting a brake on this threaded barrel. Seeing that the .300 H&H is pretty parallel to the WSM, it would make sense only for a boy's first elk rifle or something similar. As a factory load, the .300 H&H is only 100 fps faster than the .30-06 as you know.

Because of the extra case length dimension, I do not believe that I personally would want to cut any more off of the length. I had a 22 inch .308 Norma Mag (Ruger 77) once and it was very loud! Interesting way to get a shooter rifle reasonably priced though.

Oldtrader3":1jv4ytdx said:
Probably not helpful Tom, but interesting! My only thought of a reason to do this would be for mounting a brake on this threaded barrel. Seeing that the .300 H&H is pretty parallel to the WSM, it would make sense only for a boy's first elk rifle or something similar. As a factory load, the .300 H&H is only 100 fps faster than the .30-06 as you know.

Because of the extra case length dimension, I do not believe that I personally would want to cut any more off of the length. I had a 22 inch .308 Norma Mag (Ruger 77) once and it was very loud! Interesting way to get a shooter rifle reasonably priced though.

Charlie, that is why it was threaded....I didn't think of it, but asked and that's what my buddy told me, too.

He knows a local smith who will do a nice job of recrowning it. He said the rest of the rifle is in very, very nice condition.

As you know Tom the pre 64-300 H & H is one of my favorites, and I am positive you will love it, when it happens.

I have known you a few years and have always been impressed with how well you research a major purchase -- your not an impulse buyer, so I believe the right gun will find its way to you, in due time, and when it does it will be the perfect gun, at the perfect price, for you. Just keep looking, it will happen.

I have told your lovely wife Michelle that she is very lucky to have you as I am sure you research all the large family purchases the same way.

As for the scope, what part of Swarovski Z6, dont you understand ? LOL Just kidding ,as you know I also like the Leupold 6 --it would look good on that rifle.

Good luck in your search and stay away from those sick kids LOL

Africa Huntress":3ng8nwpo said:
As you know Tom the pre 64-300 H & H is one of my favorites, and I am positive you will love it, when it happens.

I have known you a few years and have always been impressed with how well you research a major purchase -- your not an impulse buyer, so I believe the right gun will find its way to you, in due time, and when it does it will be the perfect gun, at the perfect price, for you. Just keep looking, it will happen.

I have told your lovely wife Michelle that she is very lucky to have you as I am sure you research all the large family purchases the same way.

As for the scope, what part of Swarovski Z6, dont you understand ? LOL Just kidding ,as you know I also like the Leupold 6 --it would look good on that rifle.

Good luck in your search and stay away from those sick kids LOL

Aleena, too late on the sick kids....just got an brand spankin' new cold today. I just got over one on Sunday, too. Gotta love working in a school!

As for researching....yes, I do, lol, and sometimes to a fault. Despite what some members of another forum thought about me, I don't spend money mindlessly. I want my gear to be good stuff, not crap, and I don't want to pay more than necessary.

Oh, and car dealers HATE dealing with me till we're done, but I usually do well on price. lol

Scotty, you're a really bad influence. But you already knew that!

I emailed my buddy and I am trying to get an idea on costs. Once I know what I'm looking at with some certainty, then I can get more serious about a scope.

Anyone know where I can find some decent pics of the ASV dials on a Leica ER model scope?

Leica 2 5 10x42 Er Rifle Scopes 50030 Shop for firearm scopes from ! with the er 2 5-10x42 you are perfectly prepared for many hunting situations short moderate or long range. With a magnification range of 2. 5x to 10x you are ready for short medium and long range precision shooting from across the canyon or the high seat. The compact eyepiece and the generous straight tube fore and aft of the turret housing allow exceptional ease of mounting on hunting rifles. When a quick aimed shot is needed the wide field of view and generous magnification range will assist the shooter hit the leica er 2. 5-10x42 is available with asv elevation turret it adjusts the point of impact of the bullet to different distances at the turn of the turret knob. Available reticles: german #1 german 4a leica plex leica ballistic plex and leica cdd. All reticles are the second image plane (american style). Further features: waterproof to a depth of 13ft (4 m) nitrogen-filled to prevent fogging aquaduratm coating ensures water just rolls off the lenses and dirt is easily removed. The 1/4 inch moa adjustments make sighting in easy the click stop adjustments are positive and easily recognizable. Reticles: the five reticles are available for both new leica rifle scopes of the er series the 2. 5-10x42 and the 3. 5-10x42. The reticles are suitable for all kinds of shooting. Leica reticle 1the classic hunting reticle excellent for the quick shot in low light conditions. Leica #4a reticlethe universal hunting reticle for the accurate shot short or long range. Leicaplexthe universal reticle for hunting and target shooting. Leica ballistic reticlethe reticle of choice when long distance precision shooting is required. With vertical hold over marks spaced 5 cm at 100 meters / approx 2 inches at 100 meters precision aiming at extended distances is possible. When ballistic information for the cartridge and the distance to the target are known precise shooting is possible. The use of a leica laser rangefinder to determine the distance to the target is recommended. Leica cdd reticlea reticle designed for the target shooter. With this reticle it is possible to focus the target in the natural manner. The upper dot is suitable for aiming in artifical light an the lower dot for aiming in natural light.

Tom, this is the only description that I was able to find which had any level of technical detail. It was from Bargainshack-shopping of all places. Hope it helps.
Charlie

Thanks, Charlie.

Trying to find pics of the dials. Leica's site has decent info on it, but no dial pics.

Just read a John Barsness review of the 2.5-10 ER. He was glowing over it.

Looks like a real winner, and with CameraLand pricing at the moment, it's not AS hard on the wallet.

tddeangelo":2clnyu2y said:
Scotty, you're a really bad influence. But you already knew that!

I emailed my buddy and I am trying to get an idea on costs. Once I know what I'm looking at with some certainty, then I can get more serious about a scope.

Anyone know where I can find some decent pics of the ASV dials on a Leica ER model scope?

Here it is. Looks like a winner in my book!

Tom, YOUR WELCOME! :twisted:

Attachments

• LEICA-ER-3_5-14x42-Rifle-Scope-Elevation-Target-Turret-51021-Pic2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 363
DrMike":1djv0q9m said:
You could do worse than a Leica, Tom. It is a fine scope.

Scotty's been counting on you to pile on with him. Personally, I think he wants me to demo a scope for him before he commits to one himself.

I'm waffling on the rifle now, though. $1200 seems to be the price, haven't seen it yet, but when that price comes with "live with a few issues", I start to get a little iffy.

tddeangelo":3vqt1shk said:
DrMike":3vqt1shk said:
You could do worse than a Leica, Tom. It is a fine scope.

Scotty's been counting on you to pile on with him. Personally, I think he wants me to demo a scope for him before he commits to one himself.

I'm waffling on the rifle now, though. $1200 seems to be the price, haven't seen it yet, but when that price comes with "live with a few issues", I start to get a little iffy.

I don't blame you Tom. 1200 is alot to be "iffy" about.

Africa Huntress":3eh581rq said:
DrMike":3eh581rq said:
Tom, I promise not to pile on... When are you guying that Swarovski Z6?

+ 1

Dr. mike, isnt Leica something you can catch when in a bar in southeast asia LOL

Not that I know of Aleena? I have been to that part of the world a little... :twisted:

Stay the course Tom! Don't let A and Mike sidetrack you!

Back