Scope suggestions

tddeangelo":33ngwkpd said:
I seem to always be short on scopes, mounts, and rifles........I accepting donations...

:twisted:

I have a Remington-branded Bushnell 3-9x that I pulled off my 7-08 after I couldn't see 7mm bullet holes at 50 yards... oh wait, it's still about 35 yards from the firing line at the range, right where I threw it. Never mind.

tddeangelo":32e00udp said:
I seem to always be short on scopes, mounts, and rifles........I accepting donations...

:twisted:

Tom, I gotta whole box of mounts, but none for a pre 64..... they don't need a scope. :lol:

Tom, What are the criteria? I probably have a set of Leupold or Redfield steel mounts and rings (in good condition) that I would be willing to send to you free. Let me know some details and I will check (i.e one piece, two piece, 3 or four hole plus, caliber. Rings: low. medium, high. Model and S/N range or manufacturing date.

Tom,

Send me that rifle we discussed earlier, and I'll see what I have in the line of rings and bases for it. Hey, I'm just trying to be helpful. :grin:

DrMike":1n71finr said:
Tom,

Send me that rifle we discussed earlier, and I'll see what I have in the line of rings and bases for it. Hey, I'm just trying to be helpful. :grin:

Hold up! I got dibs, and plenty of extra rings... Probably be able to get a proper set of bases as well!

Charlie, I'm just trying to be a real friend. Unlike Scotty, who undoubtedly has ulterior motives, my own motives are as pure as the driven slush.

Who? Me? What? I just wanna load for the 300 H&H. I think it would be almost as much fun doing the load work as anything.

Thinking about this. I have NEVER fired a Pre-64 M70. I should fix that huh? I need to visit Pat, as I think he is hoarding them all! :lol:

So.....

What would happen if I told you fine fellows that the guy in charge of selling said rifle contacted me today, and indicated that he wished to know what my preferences were in such a rifle, as there are "several"?

:shock:

tddeangelo":2jlnjtal said:
So.....

What would happen if I told you fine fellows that the guy in charge of selling said rifle contacted me today, and indicated that he wished to know what my preferences were in such a rifle, as there are "several"?

Oh Brother!!!!! :shock:

Details man, details......

Just got the email today.... asking if I was interested in a factory original rifle or a project rifle, and that there are "several" in the collection to be sold.

More info when I get it....

tddeangelo":17h7ntwq said:
So.....

Easy! I want the one you want! :twisted:

Honestly, details Tom....

In all honesty, guys, I will get the skinny on what's available and see if the seller wants me to pass info on to you all.

Tom, you need to find some old Win. 70, Coot (like myself) who is willing to act as an interpreter or facilitator to help you decide what will serve your needs best and at what pricing/original equipment level and presevatation/restoration. I have owned (4) Win 70 Alaskans from the 1950's and (2) magnum rifles. They were half .300 H&H and half .338 WM. Plus I have owned another 12 or so carbines and rifles including Super Grades, mostly under S/N: 125,000, in 10 other calibers.

For my part, I would prefer a rifle that is straight and pretty unconverted, despite maybe missing the rear sight and original swivel or incidentals. So many rifles have been mixed and matched with barrels, stocks and actions that it is almost a shell game to figure out what is what sometimes. Too bad that my ocean is on the wrong side of me to help you in this.

Good luck with this. The prices of original rifles now, takes my breath away sometimes.

Charlie,

I appreciate the help, and I may take you and Pat up on your pre-'64 experience, as I have next to none.

The good news here is this is not a gunbroker auction or some similar situation where I have to worry about getting "taken" on the deal. I may have to decide whether or not I want to go with one that's a project, though, and not "complete and original".

Glad to help any way that I can. Sounds as though you may have found the right dealer for your situation. Just look at as many at Cabela's and where ever, to get a stronger mental fix on what you are looking at. Blue colors and floorplate matches are good indicators and or course markings. I am sure that you will be fine.

You are making me miss my '58 Alaskan, .300 a lot now though. Enjoy.

It will hopefully go smoothly. I know the guy selling the rifle, and I know he's not going to screw me over.

What I'm curious about now is what other pre-'64's are in play....

Back