Scope suggestions

Even I like to see my target despite being old fashioned in real life. I am sticking with the old fashioned looking rifles and newer optics. :mrgreen:

Still have a Redfield Illuminator which I bought in 1984 but it is a better scope then the Bushnell Elite 3200's or Leupold most VX-II's still. At least it has full multicoating, inside and out.

Oldtrader3":12k1x72f said:
Even I like to see my target despite being old fashioned in real life. I am sticking with the old fashioned looking rifles and newer optics. :mrgreen:

Still have a Redfield Illuminator which I bought in 1984 but it is a better scope then the Bushnell Elite 3200's or Leupold most VX-II's still. At least it has full multicoating, inside and out.

I hear you Charlie!! I just like pulling Tom's leg every once in a while!

I still think I was born in the wrong half of the century :lol:

pre6422hornet":3rur8q7f said:
I still think I was born in the wrong half of the century :lol:

You and me both! I would be pretty happy running the mountains with my Guide Rifle most of the time..

Were you born in the earlier part of the century, Scotty, you wouldn't have the Guide Rifle. Forget the newer glass; in fact, forget using glass at all in most instances. Technology wise, we are beneficiaries of some marvellous advances today.

DrMike":hddw0q1x said:
Were you born in the earlier part of the century, Scotty, you wouldn't have the Guide Rifle. Forget the newer glass; in fact, forget using glass at all in most instances. Technology wise, we are beneficiaries of some marvellous advances today.

I am with you on the glass Mike, but I think I could get by with an 1886 and peep sights should I have been forced. Plus, I think there were a few Marlins around back then too! Even Teddy did okay with them and he didn't see so well!

Hmmmm. I wonder if he practised hunting by braille? Besides, didn't Teddy use a Winchester Model 95?

DrMike":3osvr9sa said:
Hmmmm. I wonder if he practised hunting by braille? Besides, didn't Teddy use a Winchester Model 95?

I think he did a bit Mike.

Teddy used a 45-90 in the 1886 in a few of the books I have read. I think Big Medicine was his Africa rifle? I know there are some cool stories about him whacking elk with that 45-90 and 405 cast loads. Talk about stirring my blood a little.

Everytime you mention the hunting by braille I laugh a little... Poor animals, getting examined before harvested....

Yeah, and then I perform a thorough necropsy, just because I still enjoy the forensic examination of what I kill.

Man, I hope this rifle shows up soon......I'm going to disappoint a whole lotta folks if I don't turn up pics before too long.....

;)

Tom,

I lost track! Was this thread about a scope? Wow! What ya' gettin'? What's it goin' on? :mrgreen:

Seriously, have you actually settled on a scope?

DrMike":2irlios4 said:
Tom,

I lost track! Was this thread about a scope? Wow! What ya' gettin'? What's it goin' on? :mrgreen:

Seriously, have you actually settled on a scope?

Nope....lol.

I keep hoping that Cabela's gets a VX6 in stock that I could do an outside at dusk comparison between that and a Swaro Z3. So far, they're ok with Z3's, have yet to get in a VX6. The monkeys working the counter don't even know what a VX6 is, although they also assume that since they know of a VX1, VX2, and VX3, and some have heard stories of a rumored VX7 (lol), then they assume there are VX4's, VX5's, and VX6's, so they know allllll about a VX6 when I ask... :roll:

Oh, go ahead and ask them when the VX5s are coming in. :lol: The report will provide hours of entertainment.

All this scope talk made my wallet hurt... Buying rifles is one thing, putting scopes on them is almost twice as hard!

SJB358":1qwq236s said:
All this scope talk made my wallet hurt... Buying rifles is one thing, putting scopes on them is almost twice as hard!

Totally agree. Then throw on $50-$100 (or more) in scope mounts...

More like a couple hundred in scope mounts. I do it only once and forget it with 222 Loctite! I have plastic drawers full of Leupold and Redfield mount and rings. Plus, I even have about 6 sets of Weatherby, Sako and Winchester 70, Buehler mounts which I really like buy they won't stay on my rifles, the screws are soft and all of the rings are for 42mm and under.

Indeed, mounts and rings seem to mysteriously multiply in my kit. Each set bids me surrender to the siren allure of scopes, securing yet one more--THE ONE, which will enable me to see elk at distances unimaginable. Ah, yes, those mounts and rings are dangerous things, lurking in the recesses of my various bins and drawers as they do.

Really? I seem to be perpetually short of mounts. I bet I need six or more ring/base sets right now.

I have rings and bases. Just not the specific ones I need. If I ever buy something that uses Rem700 bases, I'm all set for at least 3-4 purchases.

I seem to always be short on scopes, mounts, and rifles........I accepting donations...

:twisted:

I have a terrible habit that when I am mounting a new scope, I pick up new bases and/or rings. Then, when I get home and begin to mount the scope, I discover that I have duplicated what I needed. Consequently, the rings and bases keep on multiplying.

Back