Scoped the 1895 Marlin

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Used Talley QD rings to secure the little 2.5x Leupold. They return to zero nicely. I think I'm going to settle on a 50 yard zero with the sights, and 100 with the scope. Or something similar to that.

AAoNNPch.jpg

4Sed5cJh.jpg

Regards, Guy

I have the same scope, with a heavy duplex, and used it zeroed for 100 yards on my Marlin in 375 Win for years. Worked great for moose, black bears and a caribou. That rifle now has a Leupold Ultimate Slam 2-7x33 w/ SABR reticle.
The 2.5 is now on my Marlin in 41 Rem Mag, zeroed for 50 yards. Hope to use it on a cougar should I get the chance!

Not a lot of room to spare under scope.
No there's not!

I can't raise the rear sight any more than that without interfering with the scope.

I like this new sight & scope mount I've added to my Marlin, but... Have to admit that I've wondered if I was better off when the rifle had the factory sights, and the scope was mounted lower, on a Weaver base with different QD rings... I did all this to get the rear aperture sight... Not sure the changes were worthwhile, but it's been an interesting project.

This was the rifle with the same scope mounted on a lower Weaver base in Leupold QD rings, which I believe are made by Warne.

mALhPsGh.jpg

Guy

For the life of me I can't figure out why I don't use my lever guns more often. The majority of my hunting is in the heavy wooded, laurel choked hollows where a long shot is 75 yards, but I still drag out rifles and optics better suited to longer shots.
Same here.
I am 100% sure it would all it needs on driven hunts where shots on moving game is within 50y.

Law says it is not ok...

Looks nice Guy.

I still prefer to not use a scope on any of my lever action rifles, but I do have a scope on the 275 H & H.

Nice.
Unfortunately the 45-70 is not considered adequate for big game with lead free bullets over here.
We have just one pressure limit for all according to CIP and that is the lowest. You can't meet 2000J @100 m most of the times.
Silly law, but that's why I don't have one for driven hunts :-(
interesting, as I use the 348 for everything, but also like to use lessor calibers like the 250 Savage and 275 H & H on small stuff like Caribou, Sheep, Goat, Wolf.

Maybe I am misreading your post sir. What do you hunt and with what ? thank you

Looks nice Guy.

I still prefer to not use a scope on any of my lever action rifles, but I do have a scope on the 275 H & H.

interesting, as I use the 348 for everything, but also like to use lessor calibers like the 250 Savage and 275 H & H on small stuff like Caribou, Sheep, Goat, Wolf.

Maybe I am misreading your post sir. What do you hunt and with what ? thank you
Everything bigger than our small roe deer requires more than 2000 Joule@100 m here.

Even though the 45-70 does the job, it doesn't meet that requirement with flat tips and isn't allowed for big game here.
Does that make sense? No.
But that's the law...

Everything bigger than our small roe deer requires more than 2000 Joule@100 m here.

Even though the 45-70 does the job, it doesn't meet that requirement with flat tips and isn't allowed for big game here.
Does that make sense? No.
But that's the law...
Thank you

I apologize for the diversion

You rifle and scope look very nice Mr. Miner. Enjoy.

Edit to my post: we only have one Max pressure for all.
Which is rather low. You could go higher with modern rifles, but then you break the law the other way.
Tipped bullets manage, but then you are limited to two bullets in a lever gun...
The lighter lead free bullets don't help, either
PS: sorry for hijacking the post...

Last edited:
Ya, the 45-70 can be loaded to impressive power levels. Even with a lever-action rifle, a 400 grain bullet at 2,000 fps is certainly possible, and indeed is shown in Hodgdon's reloading data. I've loaded mine to that level, just for the heck of it. Impressed me, then I took it down a few notches for more enjoyable shooting. :)

But rules are rules. :(

Hoping to use the big bore Marlin this season. We shall see.

Regards, Guy

Nice.
Unfortunately the 45-70 is not considered adequate for big game with lead free bullets over here.
We have just one pressure limit for all according to CIP and that is the lowest. You can't meet 2000J @100 m most of the times.
Silly law, but that's why I don't have one for driven hunts :-(
That’s a shame. 350gr bullets don’t helps?

Guy, would an option be a weaver rail with QD rings and an XS sights Weaver peep sight in a butt cuff pocket?

Back