Scopes and glasses ?

HTDUCK

Handloader
Apr 18, 2009
Awright, here's the deal.

I do not wear glasses for distance correction but I have to have reading glasses to see up close.
Cheapos from the dollar store and 1.25 correction factor.

Creedmore and I made a scope trade and I ended up with a 4-14x50 Leupy that has a B&C reticle in it. Last evening I tried to adjust the focus so that the crosshairs were crisp. Couldn't get it to jump out at me like I wanted until I put my readers on.

Anybody else suffer this malady ?
I'm not worried about it shooting targets, worried about a hunting situation and being able to see game at a distance.

My original thought is to get a set of bifocals made that have no distance correction in the top of the lenses.

Input would be appreciated.

I've worn glasses since I was eight-years-old. Adjusting scopes can be a challenge at times (which accounts in part why I prefer to hunt by Braille). Seriously, the scope should be capable of being adjusted to the point of sharpness. If the scope has the side focus, ensure that you are setting that for the distance you are correcting. Also, the eyes tend to adjust more slowly as we age (not saying you are ancient or any such thing, but you are older today than you were yesterday). This causes some difficulty in adjusting. I would encourage you to speak with an optometrist to see what is recommended. Bifocals have proved a great acquisition for me. There was a time (many, many, many years in my rearview mirror) when the distance portion of the lenses didn't require as much adjustment. I notice that I appreciate a bit more adjustment to reality as I've grown older.

Thanks Dr Mike.
Yes I was using both the ocular lens and the parallax adjustment, just couldn't get the cross hairs where I could see them distinctly until I donned the readers and then it was crystal clear.

I wear progressive lenses and though the they work better for me for reading and distance I have had a problem with scope adjustment. I don't need the glasses for distance but have found that I can get a better sight picture with them.

I wear progresive bifocals as well and I've noticed while at the range I fuss with my glasse all the time trying get a good sight picture. For me it all comes down to good form while at the bench. I use scopes that tend to have smaller objectives and are therefore mounted low on the rifle. I have to look through my distance (upper) section as my reading part blurs the reticle.

I have also noticed, when game is in the scope, I could'nt tell you whether I had my glasses on or off! But I do tend to get a little excited when I get a chance to throw a bullet at a critter!

D

I have sort of fixed the problem at the range by using a higher rest set up which allows me to sit more up right and look thru the center of my glasses. I don't wear them for hunting most of the time since I still have pretty good distance vision.

Try getting contacts. I have bifocal contact and bifocal glasses. I use the contacts primary in the day and always when hunting or fishing. I just got tired of dealing with foggy glasses, or glasses in bad weather. It's not unusual for people to have one contact for reading and the other for distance. The brain adjusts to that just fine. My prescription is now different in each eye, so I have bifocals in both eyes. They are seamless. There is no transition like bifocal glasses and no time period adjustment like bifocal glasses. They really are worth trying.

Funny thing, just when you think you have things figured out you get a curve thrown at you. While at the range yesterday shooting I couldn't quite get the scope cleared up the way I wanted it till I took the glasses off and the everything was bright and sharp. I guess it depends on how tired your eyes are.

I have a friend with the same issue, readers work better with his scope. On a recommendation from an optometrist that shoots, he bought a pair of his normal glasses with the bifocal inverted (readers on top instead of below).
He loves them for shooting. Of course, he does a glasses swap when shooting.

I did find that I shoot better with my glasses on than off. I had thought the reverse to be true, however after several tests proved myself wrong.

Back