scopes on my 264- sighting in issues

RogueRiver

Handloader
Mar 13, 2005
So the gun is a rem 700 SE CDL in 264 wm. Leupold dual dovetail base and rings. I had a leupold vx2 4-12 #4 reticle and found I had to have the scope adjustments cranked all the way up just to almost shoot to point of aim at 100yrds. Thinking there I might be something wrong with the scope I switched out to 30mm rings and put on a vortex viper 6.5-20power scope w/ fine crosshairs. I found the same thing I cant get any more elevation-its shooting 1/2 " low at 100 yrds and I have the scope maxed out on elevation. I have never had this problem with any other rifle I have ever had. Do I need to change the base to something else? Help. This is the one rifle I own that has not killed anything. I want to use it next yr. again any suggestions???

RR, I ran into the same problem with my 338. I needed to have Talley mill some material off my front base in order to get get me some extra elevation.

You could throw a 20MOA rail on it, and gain a bunch back or you could shim the rear.

Since you have the dual dovetail bases, you could also just order a set of Burris Signature rings and the offset insert kit to go with them. Cost will be around $40-45, I suspect. The cause of this is poor QC by Leupold with their base sets. I and many others have had this problem, and it is why I won't use Leupold bases unless I have to, and then not without Signature rings.

Thanks guys- I knew someone would know- I love this forum- No BS straight honest answers.

RR, I would contact Leupold, they will provide some shims to use, probably for free as well.

You can also buy a brass or steel pack of shims from either MidwayUSA or Brownell's. They are about $8 for a package of .030 stacked shims (in different thicknesses).

if it's a one piece base , is it installed backwards ? if it's a two piece base , could they be installed in the wrong positions ?

That is why I switched to TPS rings and bases. They always fit and they always give the scope mounting assembly strength, precision and integrity.

What should I use for a shim?

My dad used tin snips and a beer can. The alumimum from the sides does a great job. These were "old' Weaver two piece bases. It has an XS rail on it now and no shims were required .

Having to shim a scope is nothing new. Nor is it confined to Leupold bases.

I've had to shim the scope base a few times over the years, working with different rifles. The shim goes between the receiver and the scope base, and in your case it belongs under the rear of the base.

I've never tried to shim two piece bases... Not sure that's a good idea. Someone with more gunsmithing knowledge may shed some light on that.

BTW, I like those dual-dovetail bases. I've never had them shift at all.

Regards, Guy

it is a 2 piece base. I like the dual dovetail bases, have the one piece version on all three on my contender barrels-22hornet, 3030, 45-70. I have the reg leupold 2 piece bases on my rem 760 35 whelen. Only the 700 has ever given me fits. It is the right base for the rear mount for those wondering that.

Would shimming the rear base require re-lapping the rings to insure a perfect alignment for the scope? Just wondering, have never had this experience.

found this on the leupold frequently asked questions(#4) Elevation issues can be resolved by shimming. If more up adjustment is required, the rear of the base needs to be shimmed between the receiver and the base. If you need more down adjustment, the front base needs to be shimmed. In making this adjustment it should be noted each 0.001″ thickness of shim equates to approximately 1-MOA (1 inch at 100 yards) correction. Shimming does not induce stress on the scope, but typically reduces stress by properly leveling the scope to be parallel with the receiver.

I did call Leupold and they said it was rare to happen, but would be sending me a shim for free. Can't beat there service thats for sure.

Well at least they sent you a shim to correct the elevation. That should help and will reduce stress and strain by straightening on the mount and scope tube as well.

I don't care for shims, but some folks don't mind them. I much prefer proper base/receiver mating and using the plastic inserts with the Signature rings for eliminating the last tolerance issues. Keep us posted on your results with the shim(s).

Yeah, ran a shim on a .45/70 Marlin Guide Gun for years.

Same reason, couldn't zero it otherwise.

Back