Screaming Eagles .300 Savage

Jar Head

Beginner
May 7, 2006
Hi ya,
This is in regards to Screaming Eagles search for .300 Savage brass.
How many of you have a ol' Savage & still use them? This is mine, it is the first rifle I ever got & sill does as it should. My grand dad bought it at a hardware store & it still wears the old 4x Weaver. They were used for years & I belive it to still be a viable deer rifle. Mine likes 150 gr. Partitions & 4064.

Regards,
Chris[attachment=0]P1000724.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• P1000724.jpg
    P1000724.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,084
Of course, that is a sweet rifle chambered in a sweet cartridge. It looks as if it worked quite well on that particular buck.

A quintessential deer combo.

I cannot describe the levels I have sunk to in an attempt to win favor of my friend's father in order to steal his son's legitimate inheritance. He owns a takedown Model 99 in 300 Savage that is in excellent shape and I must own it.

Yes Sir it did, one in the lungs & down he went. That is last years little Oregon black tail, now that I live in Wisconsin I will see if I can bag a white tail with it. I have bought & sold a lot of rifles over the years but still fall back on that 99, warm feelings I suppose.

Regards,

HUH!!!! This sucks!!! My SD card reader built into my computer is broke so I can't post any pics! :x :x

Very awesome Jar Head! I have always wanted a M99. My Grandpa hunted with one for close to 50 years. Scotty

My Grandpa's old '99 was my first rifle, and I still have it, but haven't used it in many years. The step-sons wasted no time taking a few deer and some cow elk with it though. I used 4064 for years, but have since changed to RL-15, still under a 180gr Speer Mag-Tip. It's really tough to get serious with this rifle. The old Stith 4x has the FOV of a drinking straw and the clarity of obsidian glass. I just can't get myself to break it apart. That's how Grandpa wanted it, so it stays that way. I think that Stith scope and mount are worth as much or more than the rifle.

Cool guns, the 180 gr Mag Tip is one of the best 30 cal bullets out there.

Chris,

Nice! A classic American rifle and cartridge that is made to order for big woods white tails.
Nice buck, congratulations.

JD338

Classic Rifle! That 4x Weaver is more than viable. Many of us (myself included) have fallen victim to the "I need a variable" hype. That rifle has VALUE! CL

I have one too Jarhead...its a pre-war 99 EG with aftermarket checkering (you can barely tell). I got a nice 4x M7b Leupold with Post and Crosshair reticle on top of it in Leupold one piece mounts. My grandfather like yours bought his at a General Mercantile and Hardware store for about 80.00 brand new. Killed my first buck with it and more since, a couple coyotes and badgers, and one elk. Would post a pic but kinda in a hurry. Love these old guns. If someone could bring them back I would totally buy a couple more of them. I have two Savage 99s the other is a 308 in a 99E!! :grin:

I also have an 4x m7 post Crosshair leupold. German post #2. I think its the best reticule out there. I had premier reticle build me a leupold 2-7 VX2 before they quit modifing Leupold Scopes. I wish Leupold offered that reticle. I would send all my leupolds in and have them all changed to it.

Let me know if you ever want to sell your m7 post& crosshair scope.

The 150 PT over 4064 is a great deer load. Accurate and effective in my late '20s vintage M99 and my buddies Rem 722. Really a tack driver in that gun.

This is a great old cartridge eclipsed in application and use by the .308 win round. In a tight chambered boltgun I think it has more accuracy potential, but the .308 gets slightly more velocity with the same bullet weight, and it was the latest and greatest thing bearing the Winchester name back in the day, hence the popularity.

There are some great old rifles around in this chambering still, not just M99s but also the Rem 81 and others including my favorite the Rem 722. A friend of mine had a Mannlicher Shoenaur sporter chambered in .300 sav with the original 1930's scope and mount still in good working order. Lost it when his kid started selling drugs out of the house while he was out of town for work and got busted. What a sweet little rifle that was, probably part of a Chevrolet now :cry: . It was his only rifle for many years. He borrowed my Sav 110 30-06 this year, shot 3 deer but it wasn't the same as using "Old Fritz."

Jarhead, welcome to the Northwoods, you and your rifle will be right at home here (especially if you like cheese and beer). That was the rifle everybody aspired to up here back in the day.

100_0950.jpg

Got it from my late cousin. It's seen some hard use in it's day. I still haven't shot it, but I think I might when I'm on my Christmas break. I'm thinking about getting it refinished, and the stock has a split in it around the tang that I want to fix.

eta: I have a receiver sight that I swapped FJ4E for that I need to bolt up, too.

BK":2ksmbuoo said:
100_0950.jpg

Got it from my late cousin. It's seen some hard use in it's day. I still haven't shot it, but I think I might when I'm on my Christmas break. I'm thinking about getting it refinished, and the stock has a split in it around the tang that I want to fix.

eta: I have a receiver sight that I swapped FJ4E for that I need to bolt up, too.

Man, I might be back out at Camp Pendleton before too long, you better be ready Kurt. We're going to do some shooting! Scotty

Well, I don't have any guns down here. But if you can get me a little time with an M2, I'll buy dinner! (jk)

BK":1imtmqyh said:
Well, I don't have any guns down here. But if you can get me a little time with an M2, I'll buy dinner! (jk)

You just never know Kurt! Scotty

Scotty, did you get the PM about the SS M70 .300 RUM at the 'fire?

Back