Self defense loads?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
I usually carry or have immediate access to 3 handguns.
Beretta 92 Inox
Kimber 45 ACP
and a 38 2" snub.

In light of this thread http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... ost1913248
I am questioning the calibers/loads (I use similar loads to what is listed on the thread). Are they really that ineffective or what? With so many failures listed on the thread should I load up my 500 Mag?(--kidding of course.)

Seriously it really has me thinking.

If a 45 acp 185 SGD at 1100 fps won't reach the vitals of a bad guy then I may be in trouble!

For the above listed guns what loads would you carry?

In 45acp I would carry either 230 hydra shoks or 185+P golden sabers.I don't have enough experiance with 9mm or 38 to say what I would carry.But would probably look at 115-125 +P's.

It seems to me that those folks are always getting "bullet failures". :lol:

For defense carry, use your Kimber .45 with Federal 230 g Hydra Shocks and don't look back.

JD338

Your 45 with fed hydroshocks IMO is the best self defense combo out there besides a 12ga.
The NRA is sending me some dvd's about self defense with a hand gun that are realy informative. If your an NRA member and you aren't recieving the dvd's call them and request one.
This is who makes the video.
http://valhallashootingclub.com/

Thanx for the input fellas.

I just find it hard to believe that a 185 JHP at 1100 fps can possibly NOT drop a dude from a 45 ACP.

Anytthing can happen in a shooting situation. Especially if drugs or heavy clothing is envolved. That's why they say a handgun is good only to get to a rifle or shotgun :lol:

I will stick by my Gold Dots in their proper loadings and also the SXT's. They have had good success on the streets.

Don't count on any handgun round to make an instant one-shot drop. That's why they make those magazines and put all those other holes in the cylinder! :grin: Use 'em.

A man is about deer sized, and can be real mean & deadly. Would you select a .45 caliber, 185 grain bullet at 1100 fps for deer hunting, or for taking on a 200 - 250 pound black bear? Seems to me you really like the big RUM's and such for hunting... I've taken deer with my .45, but it seldom is a one-shot drop kind of situation - unless I slam it in the brain.

I suspect your 185's would work fine, but most of us who carry a .45 select a 200 or 230 grain bullet. The newer loadings are great. We're shooting a 230 gr bonded hollowpoint at 950 fps for our duty load. Gotta love it. :grin:

Even with all that bullet, moving pretty fast for a .45, I teach the guys & gals to hammer 'em down. Shoot until the threat stops. It is nice though to get all the way into the bad guys vitals, even if you're shooting through a big ol' arm, or he's got a little cover in front of him like a part of a wall or a doorway or something. The .45 with 230 grain ammo has become a real favorite of my female officers since it recoils with a gentle push compared to the sharp slap of some of the .40 rounds. Very easily controlled and accurate even in rapid fire.

Regards, Guy

Got some 230 jhp for the 45 acp.

Also got a 44 , 357 and 10mm so life is good. :lol:

Hey guys. Self defense loads, bigger may be better, but if you can't hit you target, it doen't matter. When the bad guy is on drugs, they become the enegizer bunny and just keep going. You got to think of it as "just like hunting" because shot placement is very important, as well as practice, practice, practice. Use the handgun that you have the most confidence in, because IMO the head is the best way to make the bad guy stop. The head is a small target, and under stress and a moving target it gets even smaller. You also have to think about the location that you use the gun, home-over penatration is a big problem, family in other rooms, neighbors, got to think about that. Stopping the bad guy is good, but the bullet may go through and hit a bystander or family member close by. :cry: So IMO big and slow and controlable is good so you can make a nice group on the bad guy's computer and that will shut any druggy down. :)

After reading the replies here I wanted to share a thought on self defense loads. I have had the pleasure of serving as an armorer for the Navy Spec Ops and for a Seabee armory. The difference in commercial loads, military loads, and what our SF boys use is night and day. One of the best rounds I have ever witnessed in use is a .45 cal Long Colt or .44 mag JYD. It stands for junk yard dog, we read an article YEARS ago about this round, you take an empty shot shell case, fill it with 3/32 diameter stainless or bronze welding rod cut to length and max out the powder load for a shot shell. At 15 feet it will break every bone in a chicken carcuss. In a ballistics gell of a mans head it will peel over 50% of the intruders face off. We played around and found it would not penetrate effectively through a double sheet rock and insulation wall. For home defense where a first or second shot may carry into an area where kids or family is sleeping this is one of the best I have seen yet. Follow this up with some heavy hollow points to finish the job. I know everyone has a preference on caliber and whats comfortable to shoot. From my own experience, when you NEED to shoot, the adrenaline kicks in and it becomes second nature. The end result is how well you practice and how often. We read about casual shooters getting shot by home intruders all the time, or read an article about how this round or that round didn't do what is was supposed to do. Bottom line if you cannot shoot the same day or night, hot or cold, wet or dry; your gonna have issues when your being threatened. Ask any cop you know about the butterflies felt the first time they had to pull a weapon on someone. Self defense load..... its only as good as you are.

russ808":9kyumrwl said:
........... So IMO big and slow and controlable is good so you can make a nice group on the bad guy's computer and that will shut any druggy down. :)

So in other words we are back to the 45 ACP. Looks like it is indeed the perfect defense round.

W99, I was in Gulfport from 88-90 with 74. Went down 30 days after Katrina. What a mess. Sure miss Salty Dawgs and Pops Ferry. :shock:

Spent my time at Pt. WhoNeedsMe :lol: Was with 23 in the reserves as a BU from 89-93 then went active duty.

Back