Setting head space ???

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I just set the head space and torqued the barrel nut on the action. I used a go and no-go gauge. The go gauge allows the bolt to close with a little pressure but is smooth while the no-go gauge allows the bolt to close 1/4 of the entire throw. I used a torque wrench and put 32 ft/lbs on the nut. I figure if I add the length of the nut wrench, I am close to 35 ft/lbs on the nut. I have check with both gauges about 10 times each and I get the same results every time. I dropped some virgin brass in and they close with ease. I think I did it right. Does it sound right to you?

yep, it does! It's been enjoyable reading your posts and experiences for some time now. I believe you may be reaching the point of being one of the question answering folks, instead of asking - although there is always something new to learn! Congrats on your build, anxious to see the shooting reports! :grin: EE2

Thanks for the comment. I hope to learn as much as I can from all the knowledge on this forum.

I haven't visited this blog for weeks now, so I don't know what rifle(Savage?), chambering, etc. you are talking about. Sounds like you are doing this correctly. Keep in mind that checking headspace in a bolt rifle is a "thumb and forefinger" operation, as in delicate. You have lots of camming power on that bolt handle. My guess is that if you can barely feel resistance with the Go gauge, you should not be able to close the bolt 1/4 way on the NoGo. Of course the extractor and ejector should always be removed to get a correct feel on things. Just my 2 cents worth.

Back