Sheep/Goat

Europe, I will try this reply again...

Ever since I harvested my first Billie goat at 15 yards and my third at 30 yards with 7 MM magnums, I have been wanting to harvest a goat with my recurve bow. And since I have been within 40 yards of 20 goats (nannies, kids and young billies) over several different occasion while rifle hunting, I am confident that I will eventually get a chance. I am good to 35 yards with it.

My wife and I were out on Sunday and saw 17 goats, including a 9" Billie bedded on some ledges 550 yards across a deep ravine. I was tempted to take him with my 338-06 but was not sure that recovery would be possible on the ledge he was bedded in out of the wind. Beautiful to see!

The old tip of shooting at a goat hung up on a ledge is from the book "Hunt High" by Duncan Gilchrist, if memory serves correctly.

Brooke I should of also mention that I hunted with gerry on the same trip that I was with DrMike & Gil. gerry is also a fine hunter and actually has experience as a guide for goats!!
He advised that it is a hard hunt but very rewarding (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Brooke

I would think a 200 gr AB would shoot flat and hit hard.
Not a bad choice.

JD338

2b0398c48c95ef71136b1858a49c6c68.jpg

My buddy and long range guru just took this 9x9 Billy yesterday on a solo goat hunt. He was using a fast twist 270 Winchester with 165gr matrix VLD. One shot 470 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back