Shot the trifecta.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Just trying to stay practiced up on iron sights with some rifles I plan on carrying this yr if it works out.

Top is my Remington 141 in 35 Rem. Next is Dad's M71 348. And bottom is my Savage 1920 in 250 Savage.

I set up the same target every time and take single shots from each rifle from a seated position at 100 yds. 6 of the 8 shots so far a deer would be in big trouble.......2 of the shots are marginal but would still be hits. If I can do my job come truth time, I should be alright. (y)

Very nice collection of American classic hunting rifles. The M 71 is just flat out cool.

JD338

I just noticed the peep sight on the bolt of the savage. Most people would look and wonder…what is that? Very nice old nostalgic guns. It’s been a few years since I’ve shot my 71, may have to rectify that. I brought my Dad’s 1957 Winchester .30-30 back with me this year. I’m headed to Montana to fill a doe tag in a couple weeks. I think it’s been every bit of 15 years since he killed anything with it and the last thing was a Whitetail doe in Montana. I may have to run that one out with me.

I just noticed the peep sight on the bolt of the savage. Most people would look and wonder…what is that? Very nice old nostalgic guns. It’s been a few years since I’ve shot my 71, may have to rectify that. I brought my Dad’s 1957 Winchester .30-30 back with me this year. I’m headed to Montana to fill a doe tag in a couple weeks. I think it’s been every bit of 15 years since he killed anything with it and the last thing was a Whitetail doe in Montana. I may have to run that one out with me.

That 1920 is quite a piece when a person gets to looking it over. They only made them from 1920-1928 and story is they quickly became too expensive to make. Mini Mauser action and a lot of hand work.

The bolt peep is dovetailed into the rear of the bolt. That small lever you see locks it in position. Flip the lever down and the peep can be flipped out of the way. Shown here with the bolt in the fired position. Whisper quiet tang safety. 2 stage trigger that is way nicer than any other I've shot in a action and overall design that is an obvious copy of rifles produced by Mauser and Springfield during the first world war.

Front sight blade is milled as one part of the barrel. Is slit to hold the actual sight pin. Has a small pin or screw I don't remember without looking, that secures the sight pin to the barrel blade. All this means they had to start with a 1.25" or so bar stock and mill the whole barrel and contour and sight blade as one.

Pic of the sling stud with the screw in swivel removed. It is tapered and installed from the top, not screwed in. When they made the stock they had to inlet it inside so the stud base fit flush inside the stock, plus cut the hole in the forearm at a taper so the widest part of the tapered stud sits right where it should with no gaps in the wood, while the base sits flush right where it should. Amazing amount of work and detail.

The Model 7 came out when, 60-70 years later? Pencil thin 18" barrel and 6 lbs. This rifle is standard contour 24" barrel and weighs 6 lbs. All their rifles did so I've read. They got it to that weight by hand selecting the right walnut.

As for the M71, as you know it needs no introduction. A made to fit quality made and well engineered piece of American history. It is fitting that they only made the M71 and the 348 as a one-off match. There's nothing else quite like them.

Handsome rifles, all. The Savage is especially attractive, and the closeup photos definitely reveal something of the care with which it was built.

My vote is for the 348...... Na... ;) . Nice photos and detail. Enjoy, whichever you take. CL

I’ve been watching for a reasonable priced one. The other issue is reloading components are getting harder to find also.

Actually not as bad as one might think. Brass is commonly available on places like GB both new brass from manufactures like Hornady, or NOS like the blue/white bags of Winchester, along with once fired stuff. I believe both Jamison and Starline make brass for it, but I rarely see it.

Bullets aren't bad either as far as availability, although the cheap bullet made by Hornady is no longer made. Barnes makes bullets, Swift makes the A-Frame lever, which is a fantastic bullet, but expensive. Both Hawk bullets and Hammer bullets have gotten in the game. Hawk shows 6 different weights in FP and not priced horrible. All under $1 a piece. Hammer makes 1 bullet, and it should be a singer at just 157 grains in the Shock Hammer.

Back