Sights..... a thought process

Mortis

Handloader
Aug 3, 2012
First let me get this out of the way.

Several have been following the H&R 500 program. And here is my complaint concerning factory sights.

Even tho I do like the red fiber optic on the front and the double green fiber optics at the rear, they were installed slightly canted. And the only metal in them are the screws holding them in place. I forsee problems down the road.

This morning I installed the Red/Green Dot Scope off my Wife's DPMS Oracle onto the H&R. Have it boresighted and ready for the range. (Photo's not available at this time). Going to install another Red/Green on Wife's later......before she finds out. :lol:

Now some know that I am a fan of the Red Dot Optics for close in terrain. The H&R will be set-up for a max range of 75 yards for hunting in this area.

Now....here is the thoughts rambling about my brain housing group.

On my Marlin 336 (35 Rem), I have Williams Firesights on front and a Williams Ghost Ring at rear, set for point of aim, point of impact at 75 yards. It's only reason for being in my safe is for Hogs.

Now the terrian in my area, especialy the WMA's I hunt feral Hogs on....is thick. Best way I can describe it is similiar to the NTA Okinawa, Panama and a few other places I've been. Granted, in the winter, the lack of leaves will give some clearance, but still alot of places the shots can be fast and darn close.

So my thought process is eventually putting a Williams Ghost Ring on the rear of the H&R.

My consideration is that until age 17, I only used shotguns for hunting. Point of Aim shooting. Then during the 23 years of service, carried an M14 or M16. Altho the common term for the rear sights on military rifles is a peep sight, they are actually Ghost Rings. And years of training has produced a level of what is best or worst, called instinctive shooting.

And my instinctive shooting has gotten me into a bit of trouble from time to time cause most snap shots are center mass. Yeah, I know.... old school.

Given the beast I hunt. Feral Hogs. The type of rifles I use. And the terrian I hunt in. And the possible max range to target being no greater then 75 yards, I'm still leaning towards a Ghost Ring.

Another consideration is powder supply on the optics. I developed a great mistrust of anything requiring batteries all those years in the service. If Murphy's Law was going to hit ya, those items were a prime target.

I respect any opinions to this thread for their value and experience.

Each hunter takes to the field the best he can to get the best results he can, so his day in the field is successful and enjoyable.

I definitely like a ghost ring for close in work. I confess that I've taken them off my Model 94s, however, replacing them with low power scopes. For my aging eyes, the scopes work well, though in thick stuff, the ghost ring would still possess a decided advantage.

DrMike":3531ke14 said:
I definitely like a ghost ring for close in work. I confess that I've taken them off my Model 94s, however, replacing them with low power scopes. For my aging eyes, the scopes work well, though in thick stuff, the ghost ring would still possess a decided advantage.

Doc..... I think ya be right....

Once I get some testing done.... load set... change out to the Ghost Ring...

My eyes are not young, but they still sorta, kinda function.... :)

I've had Williams Peep Sights on several of my Model 94s, and they worked very well, even for my aging eyes. They worked especially well in dark timber. I still have a ghost ring on my Defender, and it is quite accurate with slugs to 75 yards. Should I pick up a Model 86 in 45-70, it will undoubtedly get one of the Williams sights, which should be adequate for the use to which I would subject it.

I'm a big fan of receiver sights (peeps, apetures, ghosts ring- whatever you call them) and have several rifles so equipped.

I recently removed the rear sight on my Ruger Alaskan and installed a NECG Ruger apeture sight....slick, low profile and deadly from muzzle to 200yds. For your close range hog gun they are an ideal solution.

My only gripe about receiver sights is that so few people make them and fitting them can be problematic.

Sounds like a great set up. The ghost rings are fast and accurate, even for older eyes.

JD338

Back