so what mount and ring option for guide gun

RogueRiver

Handloader
Mar 13, 2005
I'm going to be mounting a low powered scope on my guide gun on the receiver, just wondering any recommendations on mounts. I was thinking of just going with Leupold dual dovetail since I have a set of low rings. But if there is something neato out there let me know.

RogueRiver

I have a Leupold Standard Mount on my 1895 Guide, front is a dove tail and rear is windage screws.
This was recommended to me by Guy Miner and it is very robust!
Marlin1895Guide45-70VX-3175-6x32mmb.jpg

JD338

RR, here is what I went with and like it.

It is the XS rail mount, and Leupold LOW QRW rings. It allows me to take the scope off and put the aperature on it, if I am so inclined. Plus, with a good eye relief'ed scope, the rail allows you to get it forward and not get a bad case of bloody eyebrow!

DSC03387.jpg

DSC03386.jpg

DSC03388.jpg

I had the Weaver base, but it did not allow me to get the scope far enough forward and I wanted the ability to mount the XS back up sight. Scotty

IMG_0147.jpg

That setup worked well for me on both a Guide Gun and the standard 1895. Leupold STD mount and a 2.5x Leupold scope.

Guy Miner":pv9tvfb2 said:
IMG_0147.jpg

That setup worked well for me on both a Guide Gun and the standard 1895. Leupold STD mount and a 2.5x Leupold scope.

Gotta stay away from this forum. Now a Marlin is finding it's way to the top of the 'gotta have' list. Thanks a lot, Guy! Grrr!!

:)

The Marlin 1895 45-70 will become one of your favorites, I promise. :wink:

jD338

Yeah, JD, I figured that... I just know me, and once I buy one, then I'd have to get a Cowboy, and an SS, and a .450, and...

I must be getting old and feeble. Sold the .45/70 a while back to a good friend who is using it on white tail... Good grief, poor deer... Meanwhile I've gone nuts about my .30-30 Marlin which seems to do everything I want from a lever action rifle. So ordinary. So normal. So low-budget. So cool! :grin:

No recoil. Good accuracy. Cheap ammo. Love it... Oh yeah, same scope as I had on the .45/70...

the 45-70 is awesome- its fun to shoot, kills critters good- and easy to reload. Plus I cast ranchdog 350 gc bullets- weigh about 362 made of wheel weights and are super accurate-took a nice blacktail with that bullet in my contender last year.

I need to come up with a good elk load.

RR

If you can grab a box of the 300 gr PP, you will be set to go.

JD338

RR,
I can't help but think that cast bulled load would put the hurting on a elk...

well getting a nib leupold vxIII 1.5-5 for 300.oo So this should work great on the guide gun.

RR,

That is a super buy for your Guide Gun. Congratulations on finding a sweet deal. The scope will be just perfect for your rifle.

Awesome scope for the Guide Rifle! CAnt wait to hear how it shoots. What rings and bases did you decide on? Scotty

RR, that sounds about like what I have. You will like the Leupold QRW rings. Excellent set up and strong as heck. Can't wait to hear how it shoots with the scope. Scotty

Back