Southpaw Rifles...options?

A

Anonymous

I'm considering getting the growing boy a new rifle for Christmas. His Savage Youth 7-08 is a good rifle but he's quickly growing out of it's 12.5" LOP and is ready for an adult sized iron.

He's left eye dominant and a left handed action just works better. I'm reviewing the options of the more available left hand guns and just want to make sure I'm not missing one to consider.

I know Savage makes them as does Tikka, Browning, Ruger and Remington. I've had good guns in them all. Browning is probably at the top end of the price range, not afraid to spend a bit as this one will likely be the last I buy him (at least for a long while). Leaning toward something in wood and blued.

He's likes the 7-08 and I have no real reason to change- he's already got one, shoots it reasonably well and we're set up for ammo and components for it.

Probably out of the price range but I'd look at a Montana Rifle Company rifle.
I have a thing for CRF. :) If it's the last one why not make it a dandy?
Rest assured that we stand ready to spend money you don't have here on the Nosler Forum.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Huh - looked at Remington's web site and saw that in the 700 CDL (my favorite), only four chamberings are currently offered:

.270 Win
.30-06
7mm Rem mag
.300 Rem Ultra mag

Disappointing, since you're seeking a 7mm-08 rifle.

Vince":1uha2w8k said:
Rest assured that we stand ready to spend money you don't have here on the Nosler Forum.

Vince- I'm sure of it!!! I'd expect nothing less.

Guy- I could buy a longer stock, but really thinking about getting a bit better grade for the long haul. Those CDLs look really nice, as much as I like the 7-08...a .270 or '06 would do the trick too.

I just lucked into a deal on a lefty M70 in 7WSM that I'm going to load light for my daughter, who's basically in the same boat your son is.

I almost got a Tikka lefty in 7mm-08, and it was tempting, but the Winchester was....well....it's a Winchester.

Brownings were on my list, absolutely. Savage is there, too. They seem to have a fair amount of presence with lefty rifles.

Don't be afraid to go beyond the "normal" calibers people associate with youth hunters. Reduced loads can work wonders.

You do have multiple options, to be sure. The 7mm 08 is, as you know, a great cartridge that will get the job done. The CDL in .270 and .30-06 will serve your lad very well, no doubt. Any of the rifles you named will satisfy your itch. I'm with Guy on the suggestion that you look at a larger stock for his current rifle. Savage makes a good product. The primary complaint I've ever heard about them is related to aesthetics. I guess I'm not put off by their looks. I bought a Tikka for my grandson (leftie), and he loves it. No doubt about it, it is a fine rifle. Another grandson (right-handed), selected a Savage. I suspect that ultimately you and your lad will opt for what is available and reasonable; and you won't go wrong on what I've seen listed thus far.

Buy an adult-sized stock for the 7mm-08 and install it.

He'll appreciate being able to use a rifle he is already comfortable with.

George

I would say that if you plan to stay with the 7mm-08 caliber that you get a stock with a longer LOP for him. He has familiarity with the action and trigger etc.

If you are going to buy a new gun for sure, I would get him a .30-06 without a doubt. You can get ammo for them anywhere. Start him off with reduced loads and work up from there.

Just my $0.02 - Good luck!

Dale

hodgeman":2altq79b said:
Vince":2altq79b said:

Vince- I'm sure of it!!! I'd expect nothing less.

Guy- I could buy a longer stock, but really thinking about getting a bit better grade for the long haul. Those CDLs look really nice, as much as I like the 7-08...a .270 or '06 would do the trick too.

Well, I'm very fond of my two CDL's in .25-06 and .30-06, and they've performed very well for me. But I remember Scotty had all sorts of problems with one.

Yeah - consider the .30-06, you can load it from very mild to really stout. With a good .30-06, most of us don't really "need" anything else for big game.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":31yiihg8 said:
I remember Scotty had all sorts of problems with one.

Yeah - consider the .30-06, you can load it from very mild to really stout. With a good .30-06, most of us don't really "need" anything else for big game.

Regards, Guy

However, his 35 Whelen chambered in a CDL is performing yeoman service for him.

I've got an unfired Remington 700 BDL left-hand in 7mm Rem. Mag. somewhere in the back of the safe. I bought it to rebarrel but never got around to it.

Let me know if you're interested, preferably via PM.

George

Now that's a classic... A 7mm Rem mag, Remington 700 BDL...

For me, the .30-06 and the 7mm Rem mag have about the same recoil. No surprise. Similar charge weights for similar bullet weights. Never tried to load one down, but the 140's kicked less than the 175's for sure.

I took my big bull elk with a 7mm Rem mag/Rem 700 some years ago. There was a 175 gr Nosler Partition involved as well. :grin:

Looks like a GREAT option to me.

Regards, Guy

I think you would be hard pressed to beat one of the tikka T3s. I wasn’t a fan of thier plastic parts when they first came out but now that you can get good replacement parts like the metal bolt shrouds, steel or titanium recoil, different bolts, and metal bottom metal and magazines, they are really good performers. They have a stainless with wood stock model that I think is quite hansome and would be nice for alaskan weather

I have a T3 lite in blued metal with their plastic synthetic stock. I have another in walnut. They are great guns with great adjustable triggers. Their plastic stock has no flex (or not enough to contact the barrel given the generous channel) and the barrel is fully floated. I would not hesitate to get another. For some reason, they don't hold their value on the used gun market here, so they are a bargain. Both my Tikkas will shoot hand loads to 1/2" or less consistently at 100 yards and I'm no precision loader or expert marksman. Good luck with it.

If you want a higher grade rifle, upgrade the Savage. A custom stock, fit and finished to his liking and top of the line optics perhaps. Those savages shoot.

If you went with a Richards Microfit stock, you could get the boy involved in final fitting and finishing. I guarantee the lad would appreciate that at least as much as a new rifle.

Here's a picture of mine (on a mauser 98). It's their "semi-fancy" grade claro walnut with a satin oil finish.

Attachments

• 002 (2).JPG
    002 (2).JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 999
Well As I read thru these I would look at the Browning in the 280 which in my opinion is the most under rated cartridge around.
Also that BDL in the 7mm mag is a real good calibre as well.
I am sure you & your son will get this figured out!
I am looking forward to what you decide to do (y).

Blessings,
Dan

I'm not sure from your first post if your son is shooting a right hand rifle left handed? If its a left hand already, then I too recommend the customizing approach. There's always the option of a nice Mod 7600 in .270, 308 or 30-06, and they do well in cold climates/snow/rain. I "think" the safety can be switched to let hand also, but not real sure. Every pump I've been around, even an old Mod 141 35 Rem I had once, shot like a good bolt gun and seem lighter than the Mod 742 semi and such. Just a thought.

Back