Spring Grizzly!

Congrats on the spring bear tag! That 300 AB out of the 375R should do the trick.

I wasn't as lucky with my spring bear draw so take lots of pics!

Gerry - living up there in BC, have you hunted grizzly before?

Not sure I'll ever get the opportunity - but I sure enjoy reading about those hunts and seeing them on video when I can. I've run into the Alaskan coastal brown bear a number of times, but never with a tag in hand...

Am really looking forward to your account of the hunt, with some of those great photos of yours to accompany it!

All the best, Guy

Guy Miner":3rbuuhd3 said:
Gerry - living up there in BC, have you hunted grizzly before?

Not sure I'll ever get the opportunity - but I sure enjoy reading about those hunts and seeing them on video when I can. I've run into the Alaskan coastal brown bear a number of times, but never with a tag in hand...

Am really looking forward to your account of the hunt, with some of those great photos of yours to accompany it!

All the best, Guy

Guy, I was able to take my first grizz last fall, a beautiful sow that was around 6 feet. The area we will be hunting this spring is known for bigger bears so I hope to tag a big boar if possible. Hopefully you will get the chance one day to hunt them it is quite an experience. I will naturally keep you guys informed about how the hunt went whether a bear is taken or not. It will be a memorable experience no matter what happens.

Congrats to gerry on his draw for a G-Bear 8) ! I didn't get a draw for G-Bear - :cry: RJ :cry:

That's right Gerry! I'd forgotten about your bear hunt - complete with a mama bear & cubs giving you a bad time overnight... That was a fine looking grizz you took last fall.

Best of luck on this upcoming hunt. I see an even bigger bear rug in your future - with a couple of .375" holes for the taxidermist to patch up... :grin:

jmad_81":2yrlfm0w said:
Congrats on the spring bear tag! That 300 AB out of the 375R should do the trick.

I wasn't as lucky with my spring bear draw so take lots of pics!

I'm sure we could spare some of our bears if you'd like to help us thin the herd. My .458 Lott is asking to go. It's a virgin as of now so it needs to be deflowered.

Good on you Jerry. I will get one bruin (any type is ok with me) before I give up the ghost.

FOTIS":18yni7jn said:
Good on you Jerry. I will get one bruin (any type is ok with me) before I give up the ghost.

Whoa, you need to get to Idaho and get on some bears Fotis.. Heck, I imagine you have alot of black bear in WY as well.. Bear hunting is a ton of fun, is there a Spring Bear in WY?

Thanks guys, I was hoping a few more guys would have drawn a grizz tag, lucky for them they can still apply for fall 2012.

Bear hunting is a lot of fun we see a lot of bears when it's prime time in May. Fotis you need to bag a bear one day I'm sure you have a bear worthy gun or two at your disposal :)

Rem Jim":1pz84u59 said:
Congrats to gerry on his draw for a G-Bear 8) ! I didn't get a draw for G-Bear - :cry: RJ :cry:

My Buddy finally just told me he got a G BEAR draw 8) - we had put into the same area ! :grin:
So i will be out with him - there are alot of blacks in thsis area also so we should connect - its a very good area for G BEARS !
Cheers RJ :)

That will be great that you can head out with your buddy, hope you have a lots of fun. Maybe you can fill a couple of blackie tags with you 45-70 and 375 H&H :) The other bit of good news is you can still apply for the fall grizz draw.

gerry":2judcvdk said:
That will be great that you can head out with your buddy, hope you have a lots of fun. Maybe you can fill a couple of blackie tags with you 45-70 and 375 H&H :) The other bit of good news is you can still apply for the fall grizz draw.

Man, I would love to smack a black bear with the 45-70! One of my near term dreams..

I can't speak for your area, Gerry, but I believe it is going to be an early season over here. The snow is almost gone after this weekend. There is still a good pack in the higher elevations. However, there is quite likely to be bears out within a couple of weeks. I need to drop into Corlanes today and pick up my tags.

DrMike":mcb6gd3p said:
I can't speak for your area, Gerry, but I believe it is going to be an early season over here. The snow is almost gone after this weekend. There is still a good pack in the higher elevations. However, there is quite likely to be bears out within a couple of weeks. I need to drop into Corlanes today and pick up my tags.

The snow is melting pretty good in sunny areas but in the shde there's lots still. The area I have drawn to hunt grizzly is in a snow belt as well, was visiting my sister in Kitimat yesterday and they still have over 3 feet of snow, we have about 1 foot still in our yard. Generally there will be a few young bears showing up soon then by early May the big concentrations come out regardless how much snow there is. The good thing about a heavy snow year is that the bears get concentrated in the few green spots and hunting can be pretty amazing :)

Ah, yes, Gerry. I've had those amazing springs when I counted twenty plus bears each day--heavy snow pack and concentration of the bruins in the few green areas. I don't think this will be one of those seasons. However, there should be a long season and good populations.

gerry":tui86xdc said:

Yes Pal - that is true - still and WILL apply for a fall Grizz draw ! LOL

Cheers RJ :grin:

DrMike":28k9hxk6 said:
Rem Jim,

What zone did your partner draw?

HI Mike - He got 5-15 Zone A - the south zone not to far from my house -just north of Mahood Lake - i could be hunting there in 2 hrs - Have you being into any of that area Mike ?

Cheers Jim :)

Back