SSA Brass

RWE

Beginner
Jun 10, 2012
Hello all, I found myself looking at 30-06 brass and found a bag of SSA brass. Saw [edit: actually the salesman stated] the "by Nosler" and that made me look closer. I peeked through the clear part of the 100 count bag and the heads read "Nosler".... Never heard of this so I thought I would come right to the experts and ask here. What is this brass and how does it compare to the brass I have from Nosler Custom loaded ammo? Thanks in advance!

Experts? :? Ain't no experts here! :shock: We're all learning together as we work up our loads. Nosler purchased Silver State Armory. It is likely that SSA is making Nosler brass, though that has not been confirmed. I would venture that if the brass bears the Nosler name on the head, it is quality material, however. (y)

Thanks DrMike!

I bought the brass on impulse and that is not me... Election is taking a toll I suppose.

I was looking for Nosler or Hornady but saw these and looked out of curiosity and saw the Nosler head stamp. Salesman advised that SSA is Nosler affiliated so I bought them thinking that they are like the Nosler brass I have. After checking these out in comparison, not sure that is the case.

Can anyone confirm or comment as to the quality of the SSA -Nosler marked brass? I would appreciate it!

I can't answer your question but the last .358 225gr PT I bought from SPS came from SSA or was packaged in a box marked SSA. And I can't say I liked the way they were packaged since the some of the plastic bags were ruptured from handling but I was desperate to get them since they are far and few between on availability. All my previous shipments came in heavier plastic bags that were very tough and hard to open with out cutting with a knife. I guess everyone is trying to save a dollar these days I just hope the bullet quality isn't affected by this purchase of SSA .
And I almost forgot about the 7RM brass I bought from SPS that looked like something you would get from Remington except shinier. Nosler seconds brass had always been top quality or better than Remington first. Of the few I have preped I've had no problems with it just disappointed with dented case mouths and dents in the body, I may have gotten a bag of the bad seconds and have to look them over closer before prepping and loading.This has all happened since the SSA acquisition by Nosler.
Though I didn't complain directly to Nosler I hope they read this and make corrections to protect the quality we are use to.

A while back my buddy bought a fair amount of SSA brass in 308. We looked it over pretty close checking neck thickness on a fair sample. We decided it was not quite like you might get with Lapua or Norma.... but was very much like what you would get with Remington Winchester or federal bulk ammo. I think this stuff was made before Nosler took over so who knows maybe they've even tightened up specs more..... knowing neither I'm sure it didn't go the other way!

kraky1":3169net2 said:
We decided it was not quite like you might get with Lapua or Norma.... but was very much like what you would get with Remington Winchester or federal bulk ammo. I think this stuff was made before Nosler took over so who knows...

After looking at it as you did I have to agree. I do not think that it is bad brass but not what I thought it was (might be) and not the quality I wanted for this bolt gun.

Well....the beauty is in the eye of the beer holder..... that's why you can pay about an $1 apiece for Norma and about $0.85 a piece for Lapua.....lol! And that's in 308 you're probably going to pay a little more for other casings! If you truly have a good shooting gun it's not really going to know much difference between any Brands of brass.

kraky1":2vrz0qli said:
Well....the beauty is in the eye of the beer holder..... that's why you can pay about an $1 apiece for Norma and about $0.85 a piece for Lapua.....lol! And that's in 308 you're probably going to pay a little more for other casings! If you truly have a good shooting gun it's not really going to know much difference between any Brands of brass.
How true but Nosler has us spoiled.

kraky1":24t392aw said:

Yes, for what I paid I would rather it be real Nosler or Hornady brass. The .30-06 Norma was $1.80 a piece, didn't see any Lapua. Holding out for real Nosler as that is what I already have.

Back