Starting load recommendations

DaveA37

Beginner
Jan 2, 2010
I've been reloading rifle and pistol ammo for some time but, I'm new to muzzeloading. I have a brand new (still in the box) Knight "Traditions" rifle which I won at a local DU banquet and also a never fired, (new) Thompson Center "Hawkens". Both rifles are 50 cal.

What load would you use for the "Knight" to get started firing and ultimately zeroing in for whitetail deer hunting here in Wisconsin.

From what I have read thus far, I will start with BH 209 powder.
How many grains?

Which bullet type and weight?

Which primer?

Knight inline I would try a CCI M209 primer with the BH 209 in 90 grains and either a 250 grain Barnes T-EZ or TC Shockwave 250 grain. I would work up in 5 grain increments to about 120 grains.

I have worked up two loads in two rifles so far with BH 209. One really likes 90 grains ( TC Pr-Hunter) and the other liked 115 grains (TC Triumph)

As to the Hawken. I have not shot a sidelock in sooo long... I used to shoot 80 grains of FFG with a 350 grain TC Maxi hunter. Would perform great on the whitetails around here.

TScottW99":3t9b62fp said:
Knight inline I would try a CCI M209 primer with the BH 209 in 90 grains and either a 250 grain Barnes T-EZ or TC Shockwave 250 grain. I would work up in 5 grain increments to about 120 grains.

I have worked up two loads in two rifles so far with BH 209. One really likes 90 grains ( TC Pr-Hunter) and the other liked 115 grains (TC Triumph)

As to the Hawken. I have not shot a sidelock in sooo long... I used to shoot 80 grains of FFG with a 350 grain TC Maxi hunter. Would perform great on the whitetails around here.

Don't use "muzzleloader" primers with BH209. They state that ordinary 209 primers be used.

Just as an FYI, modern In Lines are capable of 150 grs (three pellets) of powder. 150 grs of loose powder is way over MAX!

If you are using loose powder, your MAX is 120 grs.

JD338

Back