STW/168 ABLR

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
After a bit of tweaking and scope tightening :x , I think I'm there. not the fastest thing in the world @ 3100 but I'm done chasing max speeds. I just want to load and shoot things. I'm not sure how much faster I could go anyways. These three shots read 3100, 3100, 3108. The nickel will cover all three.
20130827_071047.jpg

Now I just need some range time and my damage elk hunt to work out!

Accuracy like that will bring home the game. Great shooting, Jake. That is an enviable standard deviation.

DrMike":1pijh51x said:
Accuracy like that will bring home the game. Great shooting, Jake. That is an enviable standard deviation.

I'll second that Mike. What powder are you running? Only time I got standard deviation like that is with Ramshot magnum.

I wish I'd managed to snag a box before they vanished from the shelves.

I built my STW up just to play around with that bullet, and it's killing me to not have some to play with. I'm going to console myself with working up loads for the 150 in 7mm08, 7RM and the STW. Oh well. .611 will just have to do!

This load was running 80.5 gr of Retumbo. I have some Ramshot Magnum sitting on the shelf as well as about three lbs of H1000. I might try H1000, as it would use the same powder as the 6.5 SAUM I'm building. We'll see though, tough to mess with a good thing.

I'll put a few more over the chrony tomorrow. Three is kind of a small sample for my tastes.

Jake that is some fine shooting. With groups like that you should be able to fill the freezer this fall :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

With the berger VLDS my custom 27" STW likes RL22 the best speed is 3255FPS avg. ES 12. have shot it out to 1000yard and its really accurate. Wonder what kind of speed it would give with the 168LRAB

I would think that RL-22, RL-25, 7828, and H1000 would all work pretty well. Of the ones listed I might try H1000, and 7828 first just because I have other rifles that use them.

I did get to slam a 168 ABLR into some 2.5 gal chem jugs @ 300 yards today. Penetrated two jugs. Had the shot been more square, I think it would have been stopped between the second and third jug. It looked very impressive. My brother shot one out of his 284 into milk jugs @ 100 yards. The two bullets looked the same. We got to looking and our impact velocities were within 20 fps of each other. I'll get a pick up shortly.

Looking good Jake.
You should be filling the freezer soon with that load.

JD338

Jake,
My buddy's STW that I load for is only running about 3140 but it absolutely hammered the doe he shot last year.
With an ES like that, forget it.
Good shooting.

Back