Suggestions for .308 Win load

If you haven't already read it, this is a great article on handloading for the .308 Win:

http://www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html

My favorite combo is Varget, with a 165 gr Ballistic Tip for hunting, or a 168 Competition bullet for matches. I've done well with both.

Regards, Guy

I cannot find Varget anywhere. Seems like it's a staple among great 308 loads. I have worked up a few loads using Vihta Vouri N 140. The first few groups have been promising. I think with a little tinkering I can come up with something acceptable with V N140. Thanks for all the input guys. I'm still interested in more suggestions if you've got them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, Varget is a tough find. When you see it, buy multiple bottles. But I've found the 308 pretty easy to load for and also really like IMR 4064. Get to take my new 308 to the range tomorrow and see how the 125 gr. loads do. Good luck with it.

Ray: My loads were probably in the area of 2640fps. I have not got chronograph readings, but I plan on running these loads over my MagnetoSpeed. The load with W-748 is one of the few I know of that is very good in two rifles (with different barrel lengths).

The Mule deer buck taken by my son with his 308 Win was from 155yds with a shot straight into the chest. The core of the 168gn Match King penetrated over 3/4 the length of the buck. Bang-flop. This load in my sons rifle made a 3-shot group of 3" @ 600 yards shooting off a bipod.

We are lucky to have a large range where long shots can be made. Now if I can master how to judge the wind. That is the a tough task sometimes.

Horsethief":3brwv5da said:
Ray: My loads were probably in the area of 2640fps. I have not got chronograph readings, but I plan on running these loads over my MagnetoSpeed. The load with W-748 is one of the few I know of that is very good in two rifles (with different barrel lengths).

The Mule deer buck taken by my son with his 308 Win was from 155yds with a shot straight into the chest. The core of the 168gn Match King penetrated over 3/4 the length of the buck. Bang-flop. This load in my sons rifle made a 3-shot group of 3" @ 600 yards shooting off a bipod.

We are lucky to have a large range where long shots can be made. Now if I can master how to judge the wind. That is the a tough task sometimes.
Thank you HT, I hear the MKs are too fragile , I'm glad you had great results.

I have nothing to measure velocity when I get started on my handloads , so I'm curious about what velocity it's going to take.

Thanks again , Ray

Ray: I know several hunters who use match bullets from Hornady and Sierra and their deer drop just like those hit with traditional hunting bullets. One guy uses Hornady 162gn Match bullets in his 7STW. Another uses the 168gn Match Kings in his 308 Win. Both hunters have taken deer at 600+ yards. I knew of guys on a shooting team who used the 168 MKs for deer. They were so good they could probably light matches at 400 yards with a 22 Long.

The match bullet hunting thing isn't my choice, but for some guys it works well.

150 gr Sierra GK, 43.0 gr VihtaVouri N 140, Hornady Match brass, CCI No 200 LRP.
1f125c64badd92c0d0814892d019301a.jpg

This load shows some promise if I bump it up or down a bit.

RL-15 is an excellent powder for the .308 Win as well.

Actually, quite a few different powders work well in that easy-to-load cartridge.

Regards, Guy

RL-15. Varget, and IMR4064 are my go to powders. I shoot 125 gr, and 168's, but the one 150 load I used was NCOMP and Varget or 44.5 grains.

I got 2750fps with the Swift 165AF and Power Pro 2000MR from a 22" bbl .308. You can't get enough in the case to get in trouble either. I don' know if one could gain much with the lighter 150 with it as it eems to like a lot of resistance in the burn.

Just my $0.02. Take it for just that. IMR 4064, near Max, with 180gr Nosler BT's. Consistent sub MOA, out of a plain Jane 308 carbine. Beyond accurate enough and a damn good Thumper.

And I agree with Guy, RL-15 is also a good starter, just find the one your rifle likes and don't second guess it.

Cool. There are a LOT of good powders for the .308, and it's a peach to work with at the range.

With 165's, I find very little difference in the field from the .308 Win or the good old .30-06 cartridge.

With heavier bullets the .30-06 is favored, but what in North America is so big and bad that a .30 cal, 180 gr Nosler Partition can't deal with it?

Guy

I love the 308 Win. I have 2. My Tikka .308 seems to shoot about anything extremely well. The Browning is more finicky. The Tikka has a 1 in 11 twist and the Browning a 1 in 12. Maybe that has a little to do with the difference. The Tikka has a 22.5" barrel and the Browning a 22" tube. The two guns aren't that different as far as specs go but they behave like different animals from the bench. Given time and the right load, I think the X Bolt will shoot consistently well like the T3. Half the fun is getting there.

1411e3beed62479e10a121bcb76c4234.jpg

Top 3 shot group is 150 gr Sierra GK, 44.0 gr Vihta N-140, Norma brass, Fed GM210M, 2.750" COAL
Bottom 5 shot group is 168 gr Hornady Match, 42.0 gr RL -15, Norma brass, Fed GM210M, COAL 2.775"
Browning x-bolt S/S Hunter
.308 Win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1st three shots in 5 shot group were touching, opened up on shots 4 and 5. Warmer barrel and hot here today.

Still waiting to try some Varget loads too. Finally found a pound last week.

125gr Ballistic tip, 51.5gr W748 in Winchester brass. 3050fps out of a 22" Remington 700. Very effective on deer.

Back