Super Mellow .375 H&H load!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
I got this load from gun writer John Barsness, who used it to gain familiarity with a certain .375 H&H Number One before taking said rifle to Africa for Cape Buff and a variety of plains game. Barsness used it on those dangerous prairie dogs here in the West. I've had his load data for some time, but only tested them at the range today. Sorry, no chronograph with me today, but Barsness recorded a bit over 1900 fps with this load:

220 gr Hornady FNSP (designed for the .38-55 & .375 Win cartridges)
standard large rifle primer
35 gr IMR 4227

My son and I shot this load at the range today. He'd never shot my .375 before, but after seeing me shoot these mild loads, laughing at the lack of recoil, he gave it a try, and was chuckling too:

Note the sooty case, a sign of a very low pressure load:

Though I don't mind the recoil of standard .375 loads at all, I've got to tell you, these were an absolute hoot to fire! Very modest recoil and a dull report. Quite fun. Young John said "Dad, it feels like shooting a .22!" Well, I wouldn't go that far, but it is nothing like shooting a full power 300 gr load through the rifle. Lots of fun. I think they'd make a fine modest range deer load as well, as the ballistics are very similar to a .38-55 or a .375 Win. We didn't do any serious accuracy testing, just fired some for fun, and to see how they worked out. Informally, I'd estimate that they're plenty accurate for modest range shooting.

Regards, Guy

Rigbymauser, I appreciate your enthusiasm for the subject... :mrgreen:

Guy Miner":64wjvci7 said:
Rigbymauser, I appreciate your enthusiasm for the subject... :mrgreen:

Oooh... I see why :grin: . My Windows phone didn´t upload the first time. So I kept on pushing the "submit" frame until I basicly gave up and thought "oh well..to slow of a connection".

BTW. I have shot many 100s maybe even 1000s of lowpowered loads in all kinds of calibers. Sometimes one gets surprised in observing that some loads are very accurate, even though one can see the bullet in flight. An accurate load I remember was when I first started doing castbullets for a .416Rigby. 60grain of Norma 201 + 375Grain RCBS GC cast bullet. That load printed one hole at 50 meters and with sufficient power(600m/sec) to kill any game here in Europe. Another rifle I remember was a 1894 Winchester with 26"round barrel, from 1903. I loaded a small batch with Hornady 180 grain roundnose just to see "what will happen?". 32grain( I believe it was) of Norma 201 gave "within a silverdollar" groups at 100 meters. Yes they were a little slow, but they did nicely.

Submitted here from my laptop just 1x.. :mrgreen:

Does look fun, and as you mentioned guy, a practical modest load for deer sized critters. I wonder how many have reached the table by way of the .38-55?. Even my 375JDJ in the lighter Encore is more fun to shoot my 265 gr. cast at 1800-2000 fps rather than 2300fps I can get accurately.
In most any, reduced loads can be hoot. Glad your son enjoyed himself as well!

For comparison Winchester lists the following ballistics:

.38-55: 255 gr bullet @ 1320 fps

.375 Win: 200 gr bullet @ 2200 fps

So I guess my 220 gr .375 @ 1900 fps is comparable. And likely useful at modest range in the hunting fields!

Guy

I'd imagine its gotta be fun to shoot those loads at the range though.

Be fun to try one of them on deer. Out here in the thick East, most of the time shots are pretty close, and the blood trail, if there was one, would have to be pretty heavy.

Got a buddy that shoots cast bullets with a mild load out of his .35 Whelen.

Yup, they can be a hoot. Have fun and shoot away. :) By the way, I like RigbyMauser's enthusiasm.

.375 H&H, RCBS #37-250-FN cast bullet (actual as cast weight 270 gr.) 49.0 r. IMR or H4895.
Estimated velocity about 2100 FPS. Recoil about lie a 30-06. Average groups run right at 1.5" from the bench.
That's my plinking/practice fast reloads load for my Ruger #1 .375 H&H. I got it from a two part article in the American Rifleman by C,E. "Ed" Harris. Seems he worked up several cast bulet loads for his boss who was going to Africa. The first article was on the load work up and the second on the actual hunt. IIRC, the only problem on the hunt was the bullets needed to be crimped more. It wouldn't be a problem with a single loader.
Paul B.

Back