Swarovski AV 3-10 Ballistic Reticle

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Well, Charlie and I were talking a few days ago, and I was struggling to get that reticle to work with the loads I use in my 338 Win Mag. I am kinda on the search for a new scope for the rifle and would like to put something of the Swaro/Zeiss class on the rifle.

I messed with it a little this morning and I think I got it to line up pretty well with the 210 PT's. Right now, my load goes about 3050 out of that rifle and it seem's to line up pretty well with a 215 yard zero on the main crosshair and all the way down, if the scope is used on 10X.

Swaro210PT_zps23d39ad5.jpg

Then, I used the 250 PT, at 2750, which may or may not be reasonable for speed out of my rifle. Haven't messed with the 250 PT's yet. Anyhow, I reduced the power to 8X and used a 200 yard zero.

Swaro250PT_zps0f8df501.jpg

Seems to be working pretty well with both those loads. Now I just need to ante up to get the scope.

Swarovski3x10_zps74d5ea1c.jpg

My TDS reticle is in a 3-9x42 Kahles. Interestingly enough the TDS reticle was available only in Kahles scopes for awhile. I think the engineers at Swarovski were using the Kahles as a test bed. Anyhow, now they are separate and I had to convince Swarovski that I had a TDS Sarovski in order to join the software group. For a period of time the software required a Swarovski scope serial number to log on. I do have a Swarovski which got me on but actually, the TDS reticle is in my Kahles scope.

Scotty, if I can be of any further utility on this let me know. My Kahles TDS is now and has been on my .30-06 Winchester but I can always put it on my 7mm mag Mauser and duplicate your ballistics if you have trouble with those drop tables? I had the Kahles scope on my .338 Federal for awhile and ran numbers for the .338 Federal and the .340 Weatherby with 210 Partitions on Swarovski software but my .338 based calibers don't match your velocities and trajectories for the .338 WM.

I hope that you do get the 3-10x42 Swarovski. I have the 4-12x50 Swarovski on my .270 Model 70. It has been a great scope, super clear, and I have killed deer to 400 yards with it. The Kahles has been used to kill an elk with the TDS reticle on the .30-06.

Oldtrader3":1u7ndi2a said:
My TDS reticle is in a 3-9x42 Kahles. Interestingly enough the TDS reticle was available only in Kahles scopes for awhile. I think the engineers at Swarovski were using the Kahles as a test bed. Anyhow, now they are separate and I had to convince Swarovski that I had a TDS Sarovski in order to join the software group. For a period of time the software required a Swarovski scope serial number to log on. I do have a Swarovski which got me on but actually, the TDS reticle is in my Kahles scope.

Scotty, if I can be of any further utility on this let me know. My Kahles TDS is now and has been on my .30-06 Winchester but I can always put it on my 7mm mag Mauser and duplicate your ballistics if you have trouble with those drop tables? I had the Kahles scope on my .338 Federal for awhile and ran numbers for the .338 Federal and the .340 Weatherby with 210 Partitions on Swarovski software but my .338 based calibers don't match your velocities and trajectories for the .338 WM.

I hope that you do get the 3-10x42 Swarovski. I have the 4-12x50 Swarovski on my .270 Model 70. It has been a great scope, super clear, and I have killed deer to 400 yards with it. The Kahles has been used to kill an elk with the TDS reticle on the .30-06.

Good intel, Charlie. I have two Kahles with TDS reticles. I'll have to work on that. Fortunately, I have several Swarovski scopes.

Interesting how the TDS reticles, developed in Texas (where TD Smith was from) started out being marketed in the Kahles brand. Swarovski used Kahles for many things, including a test bed for these reticles which Swarovski now has a whole series of. Now Swarovski is marketig the reticles that Kahles had.

Swaroski and Kahles were friends, Kahles fell on hard times and Swarovski bought Kahles out. Over the years, they never integrated the cultures and they grew to dislike and resent each other. Swarovski would not sell Kahles Optic to its directors as a leveraged buyout and they finally ended up in court over Swarovski not properly marketing the brand Kahles and labor disputes. They separated as companies in about 2009.

I am just happy to have had the opportunity to buy two Kahles scopes while they were under Swarovski and were very competitively priced for Austrian optics.

Back