Switching to 8-40 screws

Wincheringen

Handloader
Jan 10, 2012
Have any of you guys with heavy recoiling Rem 700s switched the scope base mounting from 6-32 to 8-40? I was at the gunsmith this morning getting my new 300 Win Mag threaded and he brought it up. To do the front one I'd have to remove the barrel. I thought about doing the rear 3 in 8-40 and leaving the front one.

I'd do them all if I was doing any. The 300 win doesn't really warrant a change. The only time I have done that is to fix broken screws. Pulling the barrel isn't a big deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless he expects to use a hand die to thread the muzzle end (which is just crazy) , he has to remove the barrel to ensure that the muzzle is threaded concentric to the bore (i.e., he has to index on the bore when he puts it in the lathe).

Ask him to put index marks on the receiver and barrel so it has the same headspace as before he took it apart.

While the barrel is off, he can open up the screw holes in the receiver.

George

Did he index off the bore somehow?

If not, the threads may have followed the outside of the barrel and may be off the axis of the bore. Your bullets might impact the muzzle device or suppressor on the way out.

George

Depending on the lathe you can thread with the action on. It's still not a big issue to pull the barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another option is to use a rail that has a lug that sets against the front of the action opening. It takes some of the stress off the screws. Nightforce and Farrells make them among others.

Scott

Thanks Scott, I'll look into them.

I'm not worried about the thread job, he is good at what he does and he has done several just like that for me in the past and they have all come out perfect.

Back