Tahr/New Zealand

Africa Huntress

Handloader
Feb 14, 2012
I did not get to hunt while in New Zealand, but only because New Zealand has changed their laws and the 300 H & H is now the only caliber allowed for hunting big game animals in New Zealand and I did not have mine with me.

I will be returning in May, with my 300 H & H and will hunt them at that time.

while I was disappointed that I did not get to hunt while there, I applaud New Zealand for being the first country to pass such an intelligent law. hopefully the United States, Canada, and the countries in Africa will follow.

In the States and Canada it could simply state that the 300 H & H will be the only caliber allowed for big game hunting unless one is hunting the White or Brown bear and then you must carry a 375 H & H. Same with Africa, except it would need to say a 300 H & H must be used for all hunting of game, except DG and then a 375 H & H or more must be used.

A

Is this the only caliber allowed, or will they accept equivalents such as 300 WM or 300 WSM? I will be going there next year for red stag and tahr.

I had no idea the Kiwis were so advanced in their ballistic thinking, Aleena! :grin: Sorry you didn't get to hunt. Hmmmm. I dunno' 'bout that requirement to use only a 375 H&H for the white and the brown bears. The Inuit use the 22-250 on polar bears, as I recall. :shock: Good to see you posting.

257 Ackley":2cvk6l53 said:
Is this the only caliber allowed, or will they accept equivalents such as 300 WM or 300 WSM? I will be going there next year for red stag and tahr.

She is pulling our leg. Her favorite caliber is the 300 H & H and was just having a little fun with us. She was in NZ and I have no doubt she will go back in May and hunt them--with--her 300 H & H.

Your 300 WM or WSM will be perfect. Have a great hunt

A,

You are such a kidder! :)
Looking forward to hearing about your hunt in May with the grand old 300 H&H.

JD338

Good way to get a bloke's blood pressure up reading this in the morning Aleena. :grin:
I'm glad it's all just jocularity.

257 Ackley and Vince

Please accept my apologizes. I posted over at The Lone Eagle Lodge forum before I posted here. Most the guys and gals there know me and knew that I had gone to NZ to visit one of our daughters and if time permitted I would try to sneak in a Tahr hunt. They are also aware that my favorite calibers include the 300 H & H and 375 H & H .

The time to hunt was just not available and I am back in England and will leave in a few days to meet up with my husband in Africa.

I will go back in May to again visit with our daughter and to hunt the Tahr and possibly other NZ game. May is to far in the future for me to know at this time what other game we will hunt. May will present a much better hunt for the Tahr, and I will have my 300 H & H with me, so perhaps the lack of time was a blessing in disguise

I did notice that Dr Mike, Jim and Sean knew I was joking, but I they are also members of the other forum and have gotten to know me a little better.

I also thought that by the time I checked back Scotty would have told me that I read the NZ regulations wrong because when he read it, it said 35 whelen.

I will be a more careful in the future gentlemen, again please accept my apologizes

Can't imagine that an apology is required. A bit of levity is good for the soul. Your post brought a fine smile to my face. Glad you were able to go, Aleena.

A, never apologizes for a well conceived joke. I think it's right funny you pulled it off on these guys. :lol:

I don't remember when the .300 H&H was introduced. 1920's maybe? The .375 H&H appeared in what, 1912?

Funny, but those Brits had two of our best cartridges figured out roughly 100 years ago.

It would be pretty neat to have a matched pair of rifles, one each.

Guy Miner":rtiqd7ax said:
I don't remember when the .300 H&H was introduced. 1920's maybe? The .375 H&H appeared in what, 1912?

Funny, but those Brits had two of our best cartridges figured out roughly 100 years ago.

Ah, yes, I remember when each was introduced! :shock: Not really. However, the design of these two cartridges was spot on.

DrMike":x4r2l8t2 said:
Guy Miner":x4r2l8t2 said:

Ah, yes, I remember when each was introduced! :shock: Not really. However, the design of these two cartridges was spot on.

Dr Mile, (-: (-: (-: Now that is old

1912 275
1925 300
1912 375

the neat thing about these old girls is what they are capable of with modern day powders and bullets.

Guy, I know the hate mail will come out of woodwork to me, after I mention this to you, but. -- My grandfather and father liked and collected Holland and Holland firearms. The 275, 300 and 375 that I use was purchased by my grandfather and used by him and my father before the rifles found their way to me.

It has been fun guys but time for me to get to work, catch next time around

A,

when the hate mail arrives, ask them why they are upset, you are using old hand me down rifles lol

Africa Huntress":1xi8xw8z said:
1912 275
1925 300
1912 375

the neat thing about these old girls is what they are capable of with modern day powders and bullets.

Each a great round, and you are correct that with modern powders, these are still cartridges capable of delivering the goods. Ask Scotty about the 35 Newton. And I'm getting some exceptional velocities with the 280 Ross. They were great before greatness could be recognised.

Aleena, you played me like a fiddle :shock: I was trying to figure out a post that would mention a 35 Whelen without starting a war of words :mrgreen:. Always remember as a Canuck I will be polite but will get you back :mrgreen:!
You did well!!

PS. It is nice to see you posting don't be a stranger.

Blessings,
Dan

Africa Huntress":2xsga21y said:
257 Ackley and Vince

Please accept my apologizes.
I will be a more careful in the future gentlemen, again please accept my apologizes

No apologies necessary ma'am.

My blood pressure has been in the toilet lately and you did me a medical favor so to speak. :grin:
I figured it was a joke, or deduced that, prior to my post but it still got my b/p up and for that I thank you.

Have fun hunting with a rifle that came out in my dad's era. Yeah, I was an "oops" baby. :lol:

Vince

I don't see what's so funny.....the Kiwi's finally made official recognition of the brilliance of the 300H&H.

:)

Nice to see you, Aleena. Hunting NZ is very high on my "want to do that someday" list. With three young ones, though, I believe "someday" is going to be quite a few days into the future, though! :)

A,

All I can say is if I were to come across the right rifle in 300 H&H, I'll bring it home.
The older I get, the more I like the 300 H&H.
You have good taste in the Classics. ;)

JD338

I absolutely love my old Winchester in 300H&H. Those long cases are just a sight to behold, and the terminal performance on game is a thing of beauty as well. :)

Back