Take A Guess at What Powder

Stevesdl

Beginner
Feb 15, 2010
Good Day Team,
I decided to purchase a box of Federal 338 Win Mag 225 AB rounds and compare as many things about the round to my reloads of the same. Along with case differences and bullet differences already discerned, I found something interesting and request if anyone can take a guess.

I have only ever used RL19. This powder in the manufactured round is stick powder as well but is only 1/2 to maybe even 3/8 the size of the RL19. Anyone want to take a guess what it might be. I am open to testing new powders for my 338 Win Mag.

FYI - the amount of powder is only 69.4 on an average so far. Will test and chrony in the field this weekend. I am going to break down 6 of the 20, selecting them randomly from the box. (As Dr. Mike might suggest, random selection with this experiment\investigation might not be relevant or accurately selected for such the claim.) :grin:

Scotty. Hi! Sent you an IM a few days ago.

Steve

Be cautious in drawing conclusions. Commonly, the powders used in commercial ammunition are non-canister powder that is not available to handloaders. You really can't draw conclusions from the look of powder, or even from the weight. On the other hand, new powders seem to come onstream on a regular basis providing ample opportunity to play with new recipes.

Probably some canister stuff you and I can not get..... :mrgreen:

Are ammunition providers ever known to blend powders? If there is such a thing.

Don

Good Posts. I am just trying to start this year with having a base from some manufacturers and then improve my handloads based on their ammo as a starting point. I was just surprised to see such small powder. :):) Anyone else using anything other than RL19 for 338 Win Mag 225 grain bullets?

Thanks all!!!
Steve

Since the ammunition makers want specific content of deterrent, nitroglycerin and nitrocellulose content, it is unlikely that they would "blend" powders. More likely is that they have the powder manufacturer create a new powder to meet their specifications. If "blending" were to be performed, it would almost assuredly be the responsibility of the powder manufacturer, who would ensure that appropriate testing of the newly created powder was performed. In short, it is easier to control the process by making the powder new rather than through blending.

Stevesdl":2zfvzef7 said:
Good Posts. I am just trying to start this year with having a base from some manufacturers and then improve my handloads based on their ammo as a starting point. I was just surprised to see such small powder. :):) Anyone else using anything other than RL19 for 338 Win Mag 225 grain bullets?

Thanks all!!!
Steve

Steve, I think the H or IMR 4350's would be a good place to try also. Those seem to work well for other 338WM shooters. Scotty

Steve,

Many factory loads use powders that are not available to us.
RL 19 and IMR 4350 are both excellent powders for the 338 Win Mag.

JD338

Back