The 6.5 Gibbs is earning its keep

Ridge_Runner

Handloader
Sep 29, 2006
Having a blast this year, its taken deer at 470, 580, 682, 787. most awesome rifle I ever messed with, shooters have ranged from 13 years old to 67. killed my buck at 53 steps with my savage 99 7mm/08, have a great season guys
RR

Sounds as if it is indeed earning its keep. Is this for use in the family? Or are you loaning it out to friends?

I take just about anyone who wants to go, I let a 17 yo shool girl shoot one at 682, my buddy told me on retrieval, the legend is growing, I talk to them a bit and access their comprehension, based on that I let them set the scope with my instructions, if they have trouble understanding I set it up and let them do the breeze and squeeze, have not had a miss yet, but by far the best student was a 13 yo boy
RR

how'd you manage a 7mm-08 in a model 99? Heck of a thing that would be. Glad to hear you've had a good year. CL

when I bought the thing I was mad cause it was the best I could do after a 7 year search for a 284, wouldn't take a farm in tx for it today
RR

Is that 7mm-08 a 99C?

We have one of the 99F models in .284 WCF. It belongs to one of my sisters, we wouldn't take a farm in Tx for it either.

Thanks for sharing.

Dale

That's neat that you have gotten others out there and they have had such great success. Hard to beat anything built on a 30-06 case!! (y)

FOTIS":3k2yuwy8 said:
what is your setup and load?
Its a rem. 700 built by Ray Romain, 30" kreiger 8 twist senduro weight barrel, Holland brake pillared and glassed in a joel russo A5L. Up top is a loopy mark 4 8.5x25 M1 TMR in seekins rings on a 20 moa seekins rail. load is win. cases stuffed with 61.7 gr of retumbo stopped up with a 140 gr berger match (yellow box) lit off with a fed. 210 for 3180 fps.
RR

Way to go buddy. Sounds like that Gibbs is kicking butt for you. Glad your having such a great season up there.

Ol' Rocky Gibbs was an interesting dude, and what he did with the 06 case was interesting as well. Now does your 6.5 Gibbs have a barrel 26" long as measured from the tip of the loaded cartridge? I always thought that was unique how Rocky determined barrel length.

taylorce1":1xz70src said:
Ol' Rocky Gibbs was an interesting dude, and what he did with the 06 case was interesting as well. Now does your 6.5 Gibbs have a barrel 26" long as measured from the tip of the loaded cartridge? I always thought that was unique how Rocky determined barrel length.
It started out at 30" it was rechambered once, so its around 26" from the bullet tip.
RR

Back