The hot 6.5's

69gto":y8pzgdeo said:
Cleveland: If you can afford it go for it, life would be boring if we only bought what we needed. I like fast guns and fast cars that's why I bought a 6.5-300 WBY. and a Challenger Hellcat even though a guy in his 70's probably doesn't need 700 HP but I wanted it and it sure was fun.
That is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy,
Last year I built a 6.5WSM on a Win 70 270WSM action. I haven't completely wrung it out yet but the 142LRAB is scooting past 3100fps and the 129s are over 3200. The gun feeds flawlessly and the brass is easy to neck down. In the new McMillan it weighs just eight pounds scoped and ready to hunt. I'm getting 264mag speeds and I don't have to watch my round count like I would with the heavies. Really happy with it so far!

Scott

Interesting info Scott. I just happen to have an under-employed 300 WSM Model 70 here... Hmmm...

Thanks, Guy

Guy Miner":f8y9qq6w said:
Interesting info Scott. I just happen to have an under-employed 300 WSM Model 70 here... Hmmm...

Thanks, Guy

That was my initial thoughts before I found my 264 on the used gun rack for cheap.. So far I have enjoyed the 264 Win Mag. Been liking it even more after shooting the new loads with Retumbo.. Seems like I might be onto something.

Then I had to ask myself if there was something the "hot" 6.5 would do for me that my 300 WSM can't already do. Hmm.

XC7dScml.jpg

Ya, three-shot 100 yard group. 210 gr Berger VLD's at 2810 fps via H4350:

UxxlI2Kl.jpg

So, maybe I'll just hunt some more with the Model 70 before I decide to yank the barrel for a smaller bore.

Guy

That is a great shooting rifle. Can't see you missing out on anything with that combo at all Guy.

You could tinker with some 215's and R-26 to see if it will do the same thing 100fps faster.

IdahoCTD":1705rs25 said:
You could tinker with some 215's and R-26 to see if it will do the same thing 100fps faster.

I thought about going for more speed. Got the load from a 1,000 yard benchrest competitor and was, umm, pleased. :)

I've never changed that load.

Guy

Guy Miner":2nfrvbc0 said:
Then I had to ask myself if there was something the "hot" 6.5 would do for me that my 300 WSM can't already do. Hmm.

XC7dScml.jpg

Ya, three-shot 100 yard group. 210 gr Berger VLD's at 2810 fps via H4350:

UxxlI2Kl.jpg

So, maybe I'll just hunt some more with the Model 70 before I decide to yank the barrel for a smaller bore.

Guy

Yeah, that load and rifle will hunt when you're behind the wheel, Guy. Enviable group.

I believe that rifle will kill what you put in front of it. I’d stay with the .300 WSM.

Scotty, if a guy was to re-barrel to 6.5-.300 WSM, what powder would you use?

Too Tall

My 1 shot groups arent that tight, excellent shooting Guy. Buy a hot 6.5 if you need but I would not change anything on that rifle.

Too Tall":2xv0poch said:
I believe that rifle will kill what you put in front of it. I’d stay with the .300 WSM.

Scotty, if a guy was to re-barrel to 6.5-.300 WSM, what powder would you use?

Too Tall

I’d probably be looking at Retumbo, RL33, and RL26, along with the old favorites like 7828, H1000, RL25, etc. pretty much anything that works in the 264 Win will work the same in the WSM. That’s assuming you’re running the heavier stuff as well.

The 6.5-300 is a wicked little cartridge. I’m not sure it would ever make it mainstream but in a WSM based action it could be one heckuva Mountain gun.

I have a .300 WSM, that is on its third barrel, and is shot out. I’m thinking about 6.5, next. I got the Twin and a Featherweight in 7 WSM, already.

Too Tall

Too Tall":qyhcdkrg said:
I have a .300 WSM, that is on its third barrel, and is shot out. I’m thinking about 6.5, next. I got the Twin and a Featherweight in 7 WSM, already.

Too Tall

Well, you might as well do it then! The 6.5 WSM is only going to make you smile more when you start shooting it. I’ve sorta fallen back in love with my 264 Win since Guy started this and I decided to dust mine off.

Too Tall":cujza8tw said:
I can remake the .300 WSM brass to 6.5, right? I got lots of it.

Too Tall

You might be okay. You may run into inside neck donuts but those are easily fixed with an inside neck reamer. Most I know use 270 WSM brass since it’s less brass moving around.

Back