The under-estimated 30-06... :)

Wow! I hit 2800 with 180 gr Nosler Partitions & H4350, but my rifle has a 24" barrel. No great trick to that, but 2850 out of a 22" barrel impresses me. :)

"Needsmore" :grin:

Regards, Guy

That is impressive. I got a full can of 26 I've never opened yet that I pretty much purchased with the 06 in mind.

IMR 4350 is not the fastest horse in the stable running 2715 if memory serves me right, with 180's out of my 06 with a 22" barrel. But it works so darn well with several brands of 180 spitzers that it's hard for me to get away from.

I have 2-30-06's one has 26" barrel other 25 1/2" barrel. Nosler has load of max 56.5 gr/H-4350 with 180gr Partition @2769fps same load in 26" barrel @ 2851fps. I use rifle bull elk tag.

Double Dropper":37q0y7em said:
Played around last weekend with RL-26 and 180 grain accubonds, boy do they group and 2850 out of my 22" barrel. Nice to shoot recoil wise and easy to load for, I bought another rifle just because I love to play with the caliber, a friend plays with Bergers and its every bit as flat as a Needsmore with high BC bullets, its still impressive.
2850 fps with a 180 AB is more than plenty to take elk. That's a superb load, I wouldn't try and up it any, especially the way you said it groups. That's really nice!

What kind of rifle are you using?

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Guy Miner":ssagvbg3 said:
(y)

Ya, that's the problem with a lot of us, I've only shot two elk. I know that in each case the bullet & rifle worked well, but... It's only two elk.

Though, I can't imagine a 165 AccuBond from a 30-06 not being a good choice for elk. :grin:

Guy
That's a really good load you have there Guy!
I would imagine a 165 gr AB is strong enough to use for any elk. Along with your shooting skills, you have nothing to worry about.

Hawk

Guy Miner":1oplgh0d said:
Wow! I hit 2800 with 180 gr Nosler Partitions & H4350, but my rifle has a 24" barrel. No great trick to that, but 2850 out of a 22" barrel impresses me. :)

"Needsmore" :grin:

Regards, Guy

I did that as well with H4350 in two Remington M700s with 22" barrels. One was a BDL, the other a Classic. Temps that day was probably in the mid to up 90's. Pressures appeared to be perfectly normal and accuracy was one inch and sometimes slightly less from both rifles.
Paul B.

After reading this I decided to add my 30-06 the hunting line up this year. Can't remember last time I shot something with one. My old load was a 165 gr bullet with IMR 4350. This time around I decided to use a 165 AB with Reloader 15. Ruger No 1 with a 22 inch barrel getting 2900 fps. 5 shot group at about a inch.

Shot my TC Compass 30-06 rifle on Sunday. This I use as a backup rifle and a loaner rifle when we go out for the annual Hunting with Heroes group for our hunts.

165 BT at 2870 .43"
180 BT at 2765 .45"
Both at 100 yards. Same point of impact.

FOTIS":2o1z9w2n said:
Shot my TC Compass 30-06 rifle on Sunday. This I use as a backup rifle and a loaner rifle when we go out for the annual Hunting with Heroes group for our hunts.

165 BT at 2870 .43"
180 BT at 2765 .45"
Both at 100 yards. Same point of impact.
I didn't know you had a TC Compass?
How has that worked out for you?
Did you put a muzzle brake on it?

Hawk

For the last 2 years I have been shooting a QL suggestion that was worked up on this forum. The load is 63.8 grains RL 26 and the 180 AccuBond. Rifle is a stock Rem 700 with a 22 inch barrel and the velocity 2861 FPS. This load has killed 1 cow elk at a range of 453 yards. One shot one kill.
This load shows zero indication of over pressure.
Regards
Semper Fi

Keith1369":199ma6pc said:
For the last 2 years I have been shooting a QL suggestion that was worked up on this forum. The load is 63.8 grains RL 26 and the 180 AccuBond. Rifle is a stock Rem 700 with a 22 inch barrel and the velocity 2861 FPS. This load has killed 1 cow elk at a range of 453 yards. One shot one kill.
Regards
Semper Fi

Excellent! (y)

Danged Marines - they're everywhere on this forum - and apparently still know how to shoot. Congrats on your elk, nice shooting.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":1eo4jzlk said:
Keith1369":1eo4jzlk said:
Regards
Semper Fi

Excellent! (y)

Danged Marines - they're everywhere on this forum - and apparently still know how to shoot. Congrats on your elk, nice shooting.

Regards, Guy

Yeah, you gotta watch out for them Marines... They turn up every now and again and they're tough to run off.

Great shooting on the elk and that's a great load in that 06 as well.

[/quote]I didn't know you had a TC Compass?

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk[/quote]

I know you asked Fotis, but I have a Compass in 7mm RM. it shoots really well for me. It’s actually a Compass II. I originally bought a Compass a few years ago and recently sent it back to TC for excess headspace. They replaced it with the new Compass II. It has a 1:9 twist rather than the original Compass’s 1:10 and the new trigger. I’ve had it to the range once since receiving it from TC. The break in load with RL-23, and 160 grain Speer Hot Cor’s grouped less than an inch at 2971 fps. I didn’t measure but was still sub moa. As a side note, it’s one of the first new models out of the factory. It only has 4 digits in the SN.

I didn't know you had a TC Compass?

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk[/quote]

I know you asked Fotis, but I have a Compass in 7mm RM. it shoots really well for me. It’s actually a Compass II. I originally bought a Compass a few years ago and recently sent it back to TC for excess headspace. They replaced it with the new Compass II. It has a 1:9 twist rather than the original Compass’s 1:10 and the new trigger. I’ve had it to the range once since receiving it from TC. The break in load with RL-23, and 160 grain Speer Hot Cor’s grouped less than an inch at 2971 fps. I didn’t measure but was still sub moa. As a side note, it’s one of the first new models out of the factory. It only has 4 digits in the SN.[/quote]

That's awesome stuff!
I'm glad they took care of you promptly.
That kind of grouping is really good!

I was asking, because I have the TC Venture in .280, and haven't had the chance to get out and shoot her to see what she likes.

Hawk

I also have a Venture in 270 Win. With my BT and E-Tip loads it will put 5 into a half inch At 100 yds. The best group was with the 130gr E-Tip at .383”. It hasn’t had any factory ammunition shot through it, but was very easy to load for. The BT load is using Staball 6.5, and the E-Tip load is running RL-26. The E-Tips also shot really well with IMR 7828. I put in in a Boyd’s Prarie Hunter stock with scale checkering and it’s my baby. The grip area behind the trigger is very thin and it fits me to perfection. The bolt is very smooth. I will recommend the M-Carbo trigger spring kit, it gives a trigger that breaks like glass. I think your Venture will end up being one of your favorites. Until I bought my first TC centerfire bolt action I was a die hard 700 apostle. This is the .383” group shot last year.FB13BD59-AE1B-414F-BB63-DC589E4DEB4E.jpeg

All the -06 talk lately reminds me of my dad. He only had one "big gun" and it was a 30-06 he exclusively used for deer the last 30 years he was able to hunt..I remember in my 20's and picking on him saying that the 300 WM was soooo much better than his '06. (not taking into account that this was a deer rifle in the thick woods of WV where long range wasn't a variable) his reply was "Would you rather be ran over by a dump truck or a freight train? Either way you're a grease spot"

hunter24605":2hzqlgff said:
All the -06 talk lately reminds me of my dad. He only had one "big gun" and it was a 30-06 he exclusively used for deer the last 30 years he was able to hunt..I remember in my 20's and picking on him saying that the 300 WM was soooo much better than his '06. (not taking into account that this was a deer rifle in the thick woods of WV where long range wasn't a variable) his reply was "Would you rather be ran over by a dump truck or a freight train? Either way you're a grease spot"
Exactly the same here. I grew up on Coal River just outside Beckley. Daddy was the same way. He had other rifles but only used his 06. We hunted Greenbrier, Pocahontas, Randolph, and Pendleton counties. There’s no place like it. I still come back every year for deer season.

hunter24605":ejba1xim said:
When I was a boy all of my immediate family would get together to sight in/check zero on their rifles before hunting season.

An old army buddy of my Uncle’s used a .338 Win Mag which sounded to me like the sonic boom of a jet. Everyone else in our family hunting parties used standard calibers. My other Uncles and Grandfather all shot .30-06s for everything, Dad was a .308 man because he could get it in a Savage 99. The .270 and .284 were also popular. These days things have changed, more magnums, less standards.

I feel most of the guff these days about the .30-06 in general comes from the younger hunters who have either never used one or read in a magazine some sort of comparison that belittled its performance. Many of these comparators appear to want to see the old warhorse dethroned and mince no words in attempting to do so.

I’ve had 6.5 Creedmoor shooters tell me in one breath that a .30-06 is at best a 200 yard elk cartridge and in the next breath tell me they’ve shot elk with their 6.5 out to 600 yards. Ha! I guess hunting for them is more like basketball, where only the numbers on their scoreboard are what counts. (Shot distance, bc of bullet, Boone and Crockett score, etc. not that the .30-06 is lacking in those departments necessarily.)

Without hesitation, the .30-06 to me is arguably the greatest general purpose hunting cartridge ever devised. And 114 years later it’s only gotten better. Short of Jurassic Jailbreaks, Moby Dick, or a Rhino and Elephant stampede, there isn’t much out there that it can’t be loaded up to do well. I have lots of guns but when I need to put meat in the freezer, 9 times out of ten I’m reaching for Old Reliable.

Let the whole rest of the world shoot 6.5s if they want to. I will gladly take a .30-06 any day of the week. If it was good enough for Grampa, it’s good enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 FJ4, bravo! When “experts” berate the 30-06 they tend to be hunters that have drank the CM marketing koolaid, and have little or no experience with the 06 at all. I give that rhetoric the same credence I do when a teenager explains being late. Actions speak louder than words, and the old 06 has seen a lot of action.

Back