Tikka T3x 22-250 1:8 twist

AFG270

Handloader
Aug 26, 2013
My Tikka 22-250 fast twist comes in tomorrow. I plan on shooting 64g or 70g Hammer Hunters in it and maybe some 62g Varmageddons. Should make a good truck gun for around the property.

I bet a fast twist 22-250 will be an awesome little rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My 1:8 twist 22-250 likes IMR 4831 and a 75 gr AMAX. My 1:8 twist .223 Tikka also likes them. Hornaday stopped making the 75 gr AMAX but but I bought enough to last me a long time.

I have one of these rifles. If yours shoots like mine, I think you're gonna be very happy.

Ron

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

35.8 gr Rl-16 with a 75 gr Gold dot cuts holes. Velocity is around 3157.

Moving up to 37.0 gr, the bolt gets a little sticky and is pushing them out at 3240 FPS. Both very accurate loads in Lapua brass.

Thanks, guys.

Those 75gr. Gold dot sound interesting.

ShadeTree, it will be my coyote gun, I have already shot a couple coyotes with 243 Win Hammer Hunters and was pretty impressed. In that gun the Hammers and Varmageddon have almost the same POI at 100 yards.

AFG270":793q1iik said:
Thanks, guys.

Those 75gr. Gold dot sound interesting.

ShadeTree, it will be my coyote gun, I have already shot a couple coyotes with 243 Win Hammer Hunters and was pretty impressed. In that gun the Hammers and Varmageddon have almost the same POI at 100 yards.

I had that same exact rifle and just recently sold it. BUT I'll tell you what it, it hammered with 75 grain Scirocco, 62 TTSX's, 75 ELD's, etc. It just plain straight out works like crazy. My load I kinda settled on to do everything was 62 TTSX's with 8208 at 3550 or so. I could easily bang steel to 600, worked great for anything I'd use a 250 for. The only reason I sold the little devil was so I could make a 22-250 IMP or a 22 CM on a Model 70, Ruger 77 or whatever else spikes my short attention span.

This little rifle is amazing. Started with some 50g Nosler BTLF that I bought for my 223 and they never shot very well. This Tikka loves them, I found a nice flat spot around 3650 fps with Varget and they shoot in the same hole. So I bought some 64g Hammer Hunters and worked up a load with StaBall to around 3500 fps and the same thing, all in the same hole at 100 yards. Now I need to stretch it out to 200 and 300 to see how it does.

Good stuff AFG. Rifles that shoot like that are fun stuff for sure. And in a light recoiling cartridge makes it even more pleasant. Congratulations.

Thanks, ShadeTree. Yes it is a lot of fun, now I can't wait to try it out on a coyote. In the mean time, I am going to shoot the Hammers into water jugs at several different distances to see how they expand.

hunt127588":17ca7lis said:
I’ve been playing with 75 gr Speer Gold Dots in mine. Behind RL-16, they can move on down the way.
Have you shot anything with the Gold Dots yet? I bet they would make great coyote medicine.

AFG270":17f6ox2k said:
hunt127588":17f6ox2k said:
I’ve been playing with 75 gr Speer Gold Dots in mine. Behind RL-16, they can move on down the way.
Have you shot anything with the Gold Dots yet? I bet they would make great coyote medicine.

Not yet. I plan to do some deer hunting with them this year.

Hows the 22-250 treating you AFG?

If you haven't tried them, treat yourself to the 77 grain Sierra Tipped MK.. It is usually very accurate, pretty quick, and my God, it is one of those amazing bullets from 223 to the faster 22 centerfires that just kills way better than it should.

SJB358":156w6l4k said:
Hows the 22-250 treating you AFG?

If you haven't tried them, treat yourself to the 77 grain Sierra Tipped MK.. It is usually very accurate, pretty quick, and my God, it is one of those amazing bullets from 223 to the faster 22 centerfires that just kills way better than it should.
Thanks, this little Tikka has quickly become my favorite rifle, I looking at picking up another Tikka in 6.5 PRC.

I have such a good load with the 64g Hammer Hunters that I haven't tried anything other than the 50g BTLF, both shoot bug hole groups. I haven't seen any coyotes yet, but I did shoot the 64g Hammers into gallon water jugs at 25 yards and wow!! Completely destroyed the first 2 jugs and I found the mushroomed base in the 5th jug, it weighed 37.3g

"Thanks, this little Tikka has quickly become my favorite rifle, I looking at picking up another Tikka in 6.5 PRC."

I have a PRC in the Veil Woodland camo stock. I killed two deer with it this past season and it very well could become my go-to hunting rifle. Shoots everything well and kills with authority.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Muntjac":1bwjx265 said:
Sounds great!

Nosler ballistic tips might be worth thinking about? Also the 60gr TMK?
Thanks, I'll look in to those.

rjm158":szd05nv9 said:
"Thanks, this little Tikka has quickly become my favorite rifle, I looking at picking up another Tikka in 6.5 PRC."

I have a PRC in the Veil Woodland camo stock. I killed two deer with it this past season and it very well could become my go-to hunting rifle. Shoots everything well and kills with authority.
That is exactly the rifle I have been looking, nice rifles. Glad to hear it is working for you.

Do they make 5 round mags for those yet?

Back