to lube or how to lube?

Canuck

Beginner
Nov 26, 2006
Tried a search but couldn't find anything. I have about 40 once fired brass out of my 300 win mag and I want to neck size only. Should I lube the whole case as usual or is there another way to lube the brass specificaly for neck sizing...

Thanks in advance!

Mike B

Most people use a dry lube (Mica) for case necks, if you are using a neck sizing die? I also have tried to convert my sizing dies to carbide sizer bottons on the neck sizer stem. I do not like putting oil based lube in my necks.

A tiny dab of sizing die wax smeared all the way around the outside of the case neck is all that's required. The rest of the case isn't being touched by the die, so only the neck needs to be lubed.

IF you're also pulling an expander ball back through the neck, then a little dry lube inside the neck helps considerably too. Some neck-sizing dies don't have the expander ball.

Guy

Neck sizing is very easy on the neck, Charlie and Guy have it right. To me Imperial Sizing Wax is the answer to "all" lubrication problems.

Unless you have a "neck sizing" die you will work a fair amount of the case, so a little on the case body will be needed.

Thanks guys! yeah, I have the Redding deluxe die kit which comes with the full or neck size dies. btw, both the sizing dies have expander balls. So I guess I should get some dry lube for the inside??

geeze, I just use a very small amount of stp oil treatment on a rag. a bottle will last a lifetime
RR

Motor mica works quite well, Charlie. I use it when I need to see the datum line on a neck. The Imperial Application Media is styrene balls with graphite suspended in the mix. It allows dry lubricant without the graphite becoming excessive or building up on the neck.

You'll appreciate it, Charlie. It has better lubricating properties than motor mica; and motor mica is very good.

Dr. Mike, I was always worried about putting anything that might affect burning rate ino the case neck but this stuff may also help with the electro-covalent bonding in the neck between the bullet and case neck. That would be a plus.

Back