Tried some products and learned some things tonight

ReloadKy

Handloader
May 13, 2020
I had posted a while back about some issues with my magnetospeed chrono. Never could get it right so i went with the Garmin. That thing is SWEET! Love the simplicity and the bluetooth feature to send info to the phone.

The rifle I shot tonight was a Tikka T3X in 7 Rem mag. I recently had this barrel threaded and a brake put on it while I wait for my suppressor to come in. The brake on this light rifle really helps to mitigate the recoil which I love.

I recently purchased some Ramshot Grand to try out in the 7 mag. WOW!! i used 73gr behind a 150gr ELDX and got sub moa results. My average velo was 3142. For most of you 7 mag guys that is about right, but for me I have never gotten close to those numbers. Super happy with the powder choice. I am still 2 grains below max but I will likely live with those results and see what I can do with some 160 grain pills.

I also tried some (new to me) IMR 4895 with a 120 nosler ballistic tip in the 7-08 and got sub moa 4 shot group with 3011 fps average velo.

Always a good shooting night when you can try new products and get good results.

Glad you like your Garmin, Brad. It's an excellent tool.

Thanks for the powder feedback, I'll pass that info on to my son for his 7 mag. Have you tried Magpro powder?

Yes Brian I have tried Magpro and gotten some great accuracy. The velocities have not been been as high in my rifle as I would have liked but great accuracy.
I may try to load 3 rounds 1 grain below max with Magpro and 3 rounds 1 grain below max with Grand and see how they compare.

Sure is nice when everything comes together like that. Looks like both the 7 mm RM and 7mm-08 loads have great speed and accuracy. Seems like most of the guys who own the Garmin love it.

Always good to learn new, helpful things. Since getting my Garmin I have checked loads with it that were shot over the magneto and the Garmin shows 50-65 fps more depending on the load and caliber. Not a huge difference but some. Like the ease of the Garmin. As for your 7mm-08 if you haven't tried Stabal6.5 with those 120Bts give it a go. Dan.

Always a good day when that happens but...
pictures or it didn't happen....
joking of course...
but pictures are always nice.

I will say the best powder I used in the 7 odd 8 was IMR4350 using 140gr BT

Typical IMR fashion it meters not so good...as in drop and trickle rest in but that was the most accurate.
It was a finnicky rifle for sure.
17 rounds into what would become one ragged hole. Then it would walk.
Clean it to a mirror finish and right back there for another 17 rounds. Then it would walk.

When I say walk it was still within a vitals sized group but ever the perfectionist that would annoy me.
17 rounds...funny but true

Love the Garmin. To me, it’s the best tool that’s came out for shooters since the LRF. It really assists on the range and makes life easy.

Back